DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Quick question: Starter GM here

Hi guys. Me and my friends are looking to expand a little from our DND 5e table. So we are looking to derail a bit and I think Savage Worlds is really the ideal system to do other settings than fantasy. What I should get to start running some games? Savage Worlds Deluxe or Savage Worlds Adventure Edition? That got me kinda confused.

Also, which setting would you recommend? We don't like Sci-Fi futuristic stuff, and for Fantasy we go for DND or Pathfinder. Is there a setting based around survival/zombie/post-apocalyptic stuff??
    Thanks!!

(Also, if you can suggest good quality of life essentials to get besides the ruleset system ar the setting system I'd be grateful).

Cheers!!

I would suggest you take a peek at the PEG New to SW page here:
    https://peginc.com/new-to-savage-worlds-start-here/

That page clearly directs folks to pick up SWADE as it is the newer edition. It also gives a number of examples of some of their commercial settings.

Also, you can see the conversion from Deluxe to SWADE here:
    https://peginc.com/store/conversion-...-swd-to-swade/

And, be warned... SW does fantasy as well as it does anything else.
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

Blog Entries
    Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE) is the newest edition of the game, and the one currently most supported. Many of the settings (both real and on FG) were written for Deluxe (SWD) the previous edition, but the DLC loads into both rulesets and functions just fine. A few of them (Lankhmar, 50 Fathoms, Beasts & Barbarians off the top of my head) have already been officially converted over to SWADE even though the FG Store pages do not reflect that.

Thank you both, Ramza0Tyr and Talyn. I will get SWADE and one or two settings (I think I will go for The After).
    Any other universal components to get? (Is there something similar to D&D equivalent of Monster Manual or some additions that expand the SWADE base ruleset? Once I get the hang of the system I probably will be my own homebrew campaign for it with my own setting).

Blog Entries
    Eh, not really since Savage Worlds is one of the "generic" RPG systems so there wouldn't be a "Savage Worlds Bestiary" as not all the creatures in it could fit into any particular setting nor would they be configured (Edges, Hindrances, Powers, Equipment, etc.) the way a given setting might have its creatures and NPCs. The SWADE core book has some basic creatures in it, then each specific setting will have its own as well. Some of the more popular settings, such as Hellfrost, might have its own dedicated bestiary but generally that type of content would be found in the various setting books and adventures.

There are a basic group of creatures in the Core book. There is also the Fantasy Companion which is for Deluxe rather thaN adventure ed. (SWADE).

if there is a particular setting they usually come with bestiarys as well.

There are One Sheet adventures which is basically an overview of an Adventure and some core scenes but leave filling in gaps to GM.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thanks again for the answers guys. Are the companions products compatible with SWADE too or only to SWD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chudstar View Post
    Thanks again for the answers guys. Are the companions products compatible with SWADE too or only to SWD?
    All older SW material opens and "works" under SWADE. That said, automation may or may not be in place (NPC stat blocks will generally work, but it might be confused about certain edges).

That said, the Companions are up for a rewrite this year. I find the Horror and SciFi to still be pretty useful (SciFi is the only one I have on FG). Steer away from the Fantasy Companion - its the most out of date and much of the unique things are already in core SWADE (race creator for example. There are magic items, but heck someone put that online and its not really all that hard to make magic items in Savage Worlds). I'll let others commend on Super Powers Companion. I rarely use it at the table and I do not have it for FG.

While you may or may not want to run fantasy under SW, there is a great Eberron conversion available both in PDF and for Fantasy Grounds/SWADE.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chudstar View Post
    The Companions will open in SWADE but they were written for SWD so you'd be on your own to handle any changes that the ruleset cannot 'automate' for you.

Pinnacle are in the process of writing all-new SWADE editions of the Companions, and those will appear on Fantasy Grounds soon after release of the physical books. As they are all-new SKUs from Pinnacle, they will not be free upgrades on FG either; they will be new purchases so I'd probably recommend just holding off on them.

Thanks! For now I got SWADE and looking into some Settings. So far I liked premise on The After (although I can't find much info on the internet) and the War of the Dead and Deadlands: Weird West sound cool. I got to SWADE to play mostly "modern" settings, so fantasy isn't on my list for now unless I find out about a really really good setting that kinda trashes on 5e or Pathfinder (we mostly play those rulesets with my group).

Cheers!!

Thread Information