STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    Reading the item on the wish list, it struck me as a fairly descriptive specification for a phone or tablet version. I believe that is also an idea on the wish list.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I've always used FG to run my face to face games, since coming back to D&D with 5e.

I set manual rolls on my side (I use FG to roll my rolls, but my players roll real dice, which I input into FG. They also use a paper pc sheet and pencil for F2F and don't really need the player side functionality, at least thus far) and connect a second instance of FGU, via local host, expanding just the map onto a 55" tv lying flat on the table. We use minis on the map, although I also use the tokens, which will now be able to take advantage of LoS and lighting as it's too good to abandon (I've been investigating dual mouse software, and a standalone number-pad so the players can move their tokens - if this doesn't pan out, they'll move their minis and I'll move the token for them).

I also log in with another demo account on an old Surface Pro, which is stood up and displays only the Combat Tracker for my players (the only downside to that is new images obscure the CT and can prove to be a bit awkward to remove without a keyboard/mouse). This worked great for us before lockdown, and I love FGUs automation and organisation via encounter pins, map display, story entries etc etc. and it works great for F2F games.

Possibly the only minor things I'd love is to have some kind of remote display (possibly on a mobile device) for rolling during combat - I tend to get up and move around a lot when in the flow of the game, and I'd love to have some functionality away from the main keyboard and screen - I'd also love a way to request a window goes full-screen (not just for maps), and also a way to request a window to be 'always on top'. Apart from these things I'm pretty much looking forward to continuing to use FGU for F2F sessions (although I'm sure I'll think of a long list of stuff I'd love to have as soon as I hit 'Reply'! )

This may all sound a bit complex but it's proved to be really smooth in practice.

Anyhoo, this wasn't to disparage your ideas, Rylan, more to show what can already be done, in case you or anyone should think it not feasible already, and don't give it a try.

Cheers,

Simon
    Last edited by Ludd_G; June 15th, 2021 at 16:28.

FG was being used before the pandemic. It will still mean a lot to the people that continue to use the software.

Better to look at the last 16 months as a boost and now things are going back to normal
    I'm sorry but I disagree with this quite strongly. Sure, you can just assume you had 16 months of better than average sales and accept it will go back to normal but it would be far better to look at why new people came to your product and, if it's transient, work out what you can do to convert them to long term customers.

but it's not what FG in it's current form is designed for.
    Yeah, I agree with that but that isn't to say what it was designed for is necessarily what it has to be used for. A smart business is going to look at the environment and make decisions based on the prevailing need. The IdeasApp is great because it gives the devs an idea on priority. The only reason this post is also here is for me to answer any questions on my idea, and because I know a lot of people forget the IdeasApp is there a lot of the time.

If people like the idea they can vote for it and ignore it if not.

Reading the item on the wish list, it struck me as a fairly descriptive specification for a phone or tablet version. I believe that is also an idea on the wish list.
    Five or 6 players sat around a table using tablets, together with a tarted up interface for the map being run through a PC, would be the absolute ideal solution. I mean, stick that map screen through a web browser and use Chrome to cast it to the TV, negating the need for wires and...boom. No doubt about it, that would have me continuing to use FG forever.

However, I know the complications of cross-platform integrations and, given that we're often told of the limitations of Unity, I wanted to focus on the PC angle. I think it would be more deliverable.

A lot of people are showing me how it can be done but they also highlight things that are awkward. Everyone has gripes. Why don't we start listing those gripes and see if something can be done about it?

I am no graphics designer and I am not suggesting this as an implementation but, just for food for thought;
    5 Player Map Display.jpg
    5 Player Map Display with fading marquee.jpg
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

Quote Originally Posted by Rylan Storm View Post
    You have to install and configure extensions to get the grid display right.
    This is only if you're planning on using the display as the battlemap for actual physical miniatures. If you're using it up on a traditional TV as a display with the digital tokens within the program itself, the grid size doesn't need to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
    This is only if you're planning on using the display as the battlemap for actual physical miniatures. If you're using it up on a traditional TV as a display with the digital tokens within the program itself, the grid size doesn't need to be exact.
    We always use minis and in all honesty I've never worried enough about it being exact to use an extension. The grid is the grid and as long as it's not too small to accommodate the minis it's all good

Cheers,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Rylan Storm View Post
    I'm sorry but I disagree with this quite strongly. Sure, you can just assume you had 16 months of better than average sales and accept it will go back to normal but it would be far better to look at why new people came to your product and, if it's transient, work out what you can do to convert them to long term customers.
    I'm not against giving people options on how to play. I just find the implication that FG is going to become pointless as the pandemic runs its course absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    We always use minis and in all honesty I've never worried enough about it being exact to use an extension. The grid is the grid and as long as it's not too small to accommodate the minis it's all good

Cheers,

Simon
    Which really only strengthens my point, an extension is NOT actually needed to be able to run with in person play.

Not saying that I wouldn't LIKE a specific in-person interface, I actually think it's a MARVELOUS idea, but it's really not hard to make it work for that as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
    Which really only strengthens my point, an extension is NOT actually needed to be able to run with in person play.

Not saying that I wouldn't LIKE a specific in-person interface, I actually think it's a MARVELOUS idea, but it's really not hard to make it work for that as it is.
    Exactly

I didn't say it would become pointless. I simply said people would be less inclined to use it.
    www.accidentaldm.com - The diary of a Newbie DM

Blog Entries
    I think its the title of the post, and not the actual words used in the OP, that implied "pointless" or other seemingly extreme future

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information