5E Character Create Playlist

Create New Ruleset vs Mofify Existing One

Hi!

I'm thinking of creating a ruleset for a game I like which is based on 5e.

Should I just change the 5e Ruleset or Should I create a new one as a 5e child ruleset?

The system has some significant changes like using Fortitude, Reflex and Will as Skills and Mana Points for magic instead of preparation + levelled spell slots, but apart from that, it's quite similar.

I would like to distribute it freely if I ever get to a working version, but I don't know whether I can do that if I go with modifying an existing ruleset.

Thanks in advance

I'd do it as a child ruleset, or an extension (probably a better idea), to the 5E ruleset. If you modify the 5e ruleset directly you're essentially freezing your code with that release. At first you won't have issues, but over time you'll encounter more - at the least loss of new functionality, but probably incompatibilities with the underlying CoreRPG and issues with new FGU features/functions.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It depends.

* If it's just some slight adjustments or reskin to be offered "as is" to community, then an extension is best with permission for others to take over and update is probably best.

* If there are actually quite a few changes to sheets or rolls, then a separate ruleset is best. If you do that, we allow people to re-use our ruleset code, as long as it's built for release on the FG store, or offered for free to community (and does not compete with an official store release).

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It depends.

* If it's just some slight adjustments or reskin to be offered "as is" to community, then an extension is best with permission for others to take over and update is probably best.

* If there are actually quite a few changes to sheets or rolls, then a separate ruleset is best. If you do that, we allow people to re-use our ruleset code, as long as it's built for release on the FG store, or offered for free to community (and does not compete with an official store release).

Regards,
    JPG
    You can re-use the rulesets that ship with FG in this manner, but not the ones that are bought separately in store.
    Clarifying for OP - not MW!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You can re-use the rulesets that ship with FG in this manner, but not the ones that are bought separately in store.
    Clarifying for OP - not MW!
    Hmm. So that's a no-no on trying to adapt the Vampire The Masquerade 5th Edition to Chronicles of Darkness, I guess?

Anyways, thanks for the info.

And thanks, Dammed. Your videos were a great motivator on trying my hand at rulesets, btw.

I went with the child ruleset.

I managed to get some things working already. It's been fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sambarilov View Post
    Hmm. So that's a no-no on trying to adapt the Vampire The Masquerade 5th Edition to Chronicles of Darkness, I guess?
    yes it does mean you cant do that...

Quote Originally Posted by sambarilov View Post

And thanks, Dammed. Your videos were a great motivator on trying my hand at rulesets, btw.

I went with the child ruleset.

I managed to get some things working already. It's been fun.
    Dont get lost in the rabbit hole!

Thread Information