DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Insanity Error

Insanity Error

During our session last night (playing with Pulp Cthulhu rules), I had two players lose a few Sanity points each during an encounter (5 and 6 respectively).

When the players removed those Sanity points from their character sheets, FGU gave the message in the chat roll that both now had indefinite insanity (rather than temporary insanity).

Neither of the characters had lost a fifth or more of their current Sanity points in one game "day".

So, is this an error? Or am I misunderstanding the rules somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mindreader,
    welcome and thanks for posting.

The ruleset tracks the san losses and reports when either a character loses 5 points in one go or when they lose 20% of their total in one period. Because the period is supposed to be a game day, not am FG session, it does not automatically reset at startup, but allows the keeper to reset it manually.
    If you hover over a character's sanity it should show the total, the current, and the percentage,
    san-loss-cs.jpg
    right clicking there is an option to "Reset Session Sanity".
    san-reset-cs.jpg

Also, on the party sheet, the sanity is shown and tracked for each character,
    san-loss-ps.jpg
    with the option to do a party reset.
    san-reset-ps.jpg

All of this being said, it is possible that you have found a bug, so please let me know if it is not working properly and I will take a look to see if I can reproduce the issue and fix it up for you.

Ian

Blog Entries
    One game session might be 30 days of research or travel or it could be a fistful of hours so the term day doesnt correspond directly to a FG session.

I've noticed a bug with this where clearing it from the party sheet as the GM doesn't clear it from the individual's character sheet. So when the players open their sheets, it re-instates the indefinite insanity. I've ended up just ignoring it entirely because the automated features cause more trouble than it's worth.

Was this recently? I believe some issues with the PS were fixed in the last update a few weeks ago.

If you can help me to reproduce it, I will fix it.

In my most recent game I tried to pay attention to when it happens, and I didn't notice it happening.
    I also just opened FG and fiddled around with the characters who it had been happening to early on in my currently running campaign, but I didn't get any issues.

So I think perhaps the issues that you mentioned above took care of the bug, and I just hadn't noticed it because I trained myself to stop paying attention to that.

I'll keep an eye on it in the next few sessions to see if it comes back and note what triggers it, and I'll post here if I find anything.

Thanks for your hard work on the ruleset!

Hi Gents,

Just to update, I'm finding that Indefinite Insanity is tracking well, but it's never checking the Temporary Insanity when investigators lose 5 San in one go. Not a biggie, but wondering if others are experiencing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemister View Post
    Hi Gents,

Just to update, I'm finding that Indefinite Insanity is tracking well, but it's never checking the Temporary Insanity when investigators lose 5 San in one go. Not a biggie, but wondering if others are experiencing the same?
    Hi Alchemister,

Thanks for posting. I’ll check and see if I can reproduce it.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemister View Post
    Hi Gents,

I have fixed this and it is now in the TEST channel.

When a character loses 5 or more sanity in one go, it automatically rolls the INT check (I called it a Realization check - does he realise the significance of what he has seen) . If he succeeds then he gains a Temporary Insanity.

Please test it out and let me know if you see any issues.

Ian

Hi Ian,

That's fantastic, the Realisation check will be a great addition as well. Many thanks indeed for giving this attention.

Just to update, have been running this in TEST and it's working well, many thanks again!
    Last edited by Alchemister; July 25th, 2021 at 18:47. Reason: Update after testing

Thread Information