STAR TREK 2d20

Recovering from Catastrophe

My laptop recently bricked and I'm trying to recover my FGU lost campaigns. I was hoping to recover characters from the clientcharacters.xml from each player, but what the heck is the password to access this file? Am I wasting my time even asking and need to rebuild nearly twenty characters from scratch?
    Stephen Pliska-Matyshak
    Dungeon Master
    "Play It Again" Adventures

Email: [email protected]

almebezbik.com

Blog Entries
    got to support.fantasygrounds.com and log a ticket and see if they can help. attach the files to the ticket and they may be able to decrypt for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spliskamatyshak View Post
    clientcharacters.xml
    I'm not aware of such a file, where is this found?

XML files are usually just text files. They shouldn't be encrypted. If it's a file that your players have exported you should be able to load it up.

However, you may be able to recreate the PCs by getting the players to connect to a new campaign and upload the local copy, stored in a local cache when they were last connected to your game - the player can see all of their local PCs from the "Import Character" screen in the characters window.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The recommended solution is what Trenloe suggested:

* Have each player use FGU to Create a new Campaign with the same game system (i.e. D&D 5E)
    * Once campaign open, have them go to Characters screen
    * Once Character Selection window open, click on the blue import button.
    * Any characters from any campaign of the same game system should be available to import using the "plus" button
    * Once the characters are in the campaign; the player can return to the main Characters screen, then use the Edit ("slash" button) to bring up export buttons for each character.
    * Press the export button; and then specify a location for the XML
    * Have the players send the character XML to you.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information