5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 5 of 12 First ... 34567 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculi View Post
    I can understand the decision from a development and business position. Especially for the future of FGU it will have a lot of benefits to not have to be backwards compatible with everything.
    Some in my group think the ~20 day notice was pretty short and I agree with them to a degree, but on the other hand it was communicated for quite some time that this will happen eventually.

That being said, I think you should consider adding really big disclaimers to the store pages for FGC (fantasygrounds.com, Steam and possibly DMsGuild?, or wherever you might sell licenses).
    There might be an argument to still allow buying FGC for some reason. It might even be technically necessary for Steam to allow for the upgrade bundle, I don't know. But at least new customers should make an informed decision.

This is still part of the FGC store page and could be improved. FGC won't receive any updates at all after June 24th.

While I already have a FGU license since the Kickstarter, it might be nice for those who don't to also know how long the 50% upgrade discount will be available, or if it will even stay indefinitely.

I also have a question regarding new purchases after June 24th:
    If I buy something after the FGC sunset date, will I still be able to use it on FGC and FGU, if the product is/was available for both?
    Let's say I decide to buy "Savage Worlds Adventure Edition", which is currently available for FGC and FGU, after that date. Would I be able to use it in both?
    (Obviously the FGU version might receive improvements later on which will not be available to the FGC version.)
    When FGU was launched it was made clear it was to replace FGC and that FGC would be gone shortly after Unity was out of Beta. Unity is well out of Beta now.

Every single DLC currently out works in FGU and FGC, because the developers make them for both versions.
    After the 24th, the will stop making them for FGC and focus only on FGU.

As the post says after this date, the update button will NEVER LIGHT UP AGAIN in FGC.

I would suggest a warning message pop-up in FGC telling everyone its reached its End of Life and it's time to upgrade (if that is even possible with the ancient engine of FGC).

EDIT: There is a 30 day no quibble money back refund on all FG stuff, so if someone buys FGC and then finds out its obsolete, they can get a refund and buy the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculi View Post
    I also have a question regarding new purchases after June 24th:
    If I buy something after the FGC sunset date, will I still be able to use it on FGC and FGU, if the product is/was available for both?
    Let's say I decide to buy "Savage Worlds Adventure Edition", which is currently available for FGC and FGU, after that date. Would I be able to use it in both?
    (Obviously the FGU version might receive improvements later on which will not be available to the FGC version.)
    I would hope that Doug and John would allow this for any DLC that is FGC compatible, because that would make sense...but you never know sometimes
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    I would hope that Doug and John would allow this for any DLC that is FGC compatible, because that would make sense...but you never know sometimes
    If its FGC compatible, that would just be lucky. It doesnt make any sense. The devs (including the community devs that make all the modules for various rulesets) will have more time to focus on Unity and adding Unity features (which will increase over time) - why should they have to check if its compatible with Classic? They should not. The entire point of Unity was to allow Fantasy Grounds to evolve. Keeping the entire back catalogue compatible with with Unity and Classic has been achieved. Making Unity stuff backwards compatible with Class was not part of the deal and is off the cards and a waste of time and resources.

Its June - Unity has been out long enough, and I reckon most people are already using it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    When FGU was launched it was made clear it was to replace FGC and that FGC would be gone shortly after Unity was out of Beta. Unity is well out of Beta now.
    It was generally communicated that FGC will be deprecated at some point after FGU is fully released, it was a short notice for the final sunset date. That's why I think it is a short notice, but I also think it is okay-ish.

As the post says after this date, the update button will NEVER LIGHT UP AGAIN in FGC.
    Yes, but it also says:
    New installations will still be able to install all purchases as they are on 2021-06-24.
    So I think the question is still valid if a purchase which currently would give access to FGC/FGU will continue to give that (even though the FGC version will be only in the state as of June 24th of this year). I'm not asking for updates or new releases. That was made clear.

EDIT: There is a 30 day no quibble money back refund on all FG stuff, so if someone buys FGC and then finds out its obsolete, they can get a refund and buy the new version.
    I know, but it depends on the store, i.e. not true for Steam. Even if it was, I personally would still suggest a clear and eye catching disclaimer in the store description instead of handling refunds after the fact... Just my personal opinion.

EDIT:
    If its FGC compatible, that would just be lucky.
    No, it wouldn't be lucky, it would just be the status quo... it is already compatible with FGC, because it is currently available for both. Since neither FGC nor any of the products will receive an update they will continue to be compatible with each other.
    Last edited by Speculi; June 6th, 2021 at 22:37.

If its FGC compatible, that would just be lucky. It doesnt make any sense. The devs (including the community devs that make all the modules for various rulesets) will have more time to focus on Unity and adding Unity features (which will increase over time) - why should they have to check if its compatible with Classic? They should not. The entire point of Unity was to allow Fantasy Grounds to evolve. Keeping the entire back catalogue compatible with with Unity and Classic has been achieved. Making Unity stuff backwards compatible with Class was not part of the deal and is off the cards and a waste of time and resources.

Its June - Unity has been out long enough, and I reckon most people are already using it anyway.
    I am referring to the ones that currently are already FGC compatible. Makes perfect sense.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    I welcome this change, because now I have to worry for one program while doing layout. And I am sad, because /reload will take five times longer
    Set the campaign to LAN and it should be quicker to reload.

I was of the same mind as you @Speculi. While it was generally indicated that eventually would be sunset, the final date (20 days) is pretty swift. I have a number of players on old laptops which FGU doesn't run well on (I was in on the KS for FGU). That said, it's an understandable business move but I'm surprised at how short the notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    I was of the same mind as you @Speculi. While it was generally indicated that eventually would be sunset, the final date (20 days) is pretty swift. I have a number of players on old laptops which FGU doesn't run well on (I was in on the KS for FGU). That said, it's an understandable business move but I'm surprised at how short the notice.
    FGU runs way better than shortly after the kickstarter if you haven't tried it out again until now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    Do note that FGC wont stop working because of this date.
    FGC will stop working at some point for other reasons - someone buys a Mac or a Windows update breaks things - but it wont stop working for your current group because of this announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Do note that FGC wont stop working because of this date.
    FGC will stop working at some point for other reasons - someone buys a Mac or a Windows update breaks things - but it wont stop working for your current group because of this announcement.
    I was just about to say what Damned said.. so I wont. But everything you own, will still work... So no worries to your current groups.

Thread Information