5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I am in the same situation, we are also finishing up LMoP. Been looking at Dragon of Icespire Peak. It keeps the party in Phandalin. You can beef up some of the starting quests to make more challenging and like was mentioned here, there are 3 supplements to this beginner module. If they are near 5th level, then a good dungeon crawl would be Dungeon of the Mad Mage is good one to make it more challenging but it is lengthy. Candlekeep mysteries would be good for short adventures. You can also grab some of the Adventure League adventures....those make good short adventures if you or the party can't commit to a long term adventure. Dung of the Mad Mage starts at 5th level and is designed to take the party to 20th level. Alot of choices....my party is leaning towards the mad mage adventure. they want the challenge of this huge dungeon crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCBoy36 View Post
    I am in the same situation, we are also finishing up LMoP. Been looking at Dragon of Icespire Peak. It keeps the party in Phandalin. You can beef up some of the starting quests to make more challenging and like was mentioned here, there are 3 supplements to this beginner module. If they are near 5th level, then a good dungeon crawl would be Dungeon of the Mad Mage is good one to make it more challenging but it is lengthy. Candlekeep mysteries would be good for short adventures. You can also grab some of the Adventure League adventures....those make good short adventures if you or the party can't commit to a long term adventure. Dung of the Mad Mage starts at 5th level and is designed to take the party to 20th level. Alot of choices....my party is leaning towards the mad mage adventure. they want the challenge of this huge dungeon crawl.
    We decided to go for Storm King's Thunder. Looked at Out of the Abyss and the campaigns after Dragon of Icespire Peak, but another one of my players is running that right now. No one has done SKT yet, so should be a bunch of fun....I hope.

Blog Entries
    My group went to SKT but I didnt realise

a) there was an option to bring in L5 chars
    b) how slow the opening 5 levels in SKT can be...

So we rebooted our toons and started again

Yeah, we are starting at level 5 and skipping the first chapter. Might bring in a few NPCs from the chapter but that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    You might check out Storm Lord's Wrath, Sleeping Dragon's Wake and Divine Contention. Those adventures take place near Phandalin and make a good sequel to Lost Mines or Icespire Peaks (both being starter adventures in Phandalin). They are also relatively inexpensive as well.
    These are pretty cool modules. After i finished Lost Mine of Phandelver, the party was level 5. I used Dragon Barrow, Falcon's Lodge, Woodland Manse and then Circle of Thunder from Icespire peak to introduce the party to Talos cultists, but also to level them up to level 7. I just changed a few things to make everything fit with the player stories. Once at level 7, i sent the party to Leilon to start the Storm Lord's Wrath module.

These modules are available for cheap on Fantasy Grounds, and they are free as source material on D&D Beyond if you get the Icespire Peak set and enter the code in the box. I'm almost done the first of the 3 modules (Storm Lord's Wrath - levels 7 to 9) and then will move on to Sleeping Dragon's Wake (levels 9 to 11) and then Divine Contention (levels 11 to 13).
    BTW, for the people who are thinking of Storm King's Thunder, this is different.. not the same modules at all.
    Last edited by ErevanSelevarun; June 19th, 2021 at 12:22.

I followed up Lost Mines of Phandelver with the Storm Lord's Wrath (and then next Sleeping Dragon's Wake and Divine Contention) for one party. Another group, I'm following up Dragon of Icespire Peak with Rise of Tiamat. I'm also about to start one with Dungeon of the Mad Mage. But all of these will require a healthy chunk of time for your players to get through all of the content. For a limited time frame group, you might want to look at a subsection of a module or just make up a set of dungeons with your own plot for them to run through, that way you can speed things up if you get into the time crunch or drag it out with new ideas from the players if they move along a little too quickly.

We are going towards Mad Mage, starting a new group with Dragon of Icespire and then possibly start the Tyranny of Dragon....also just got the revamped Curse of Strahd set for Fathers day.....can't wait to dig into that.

Sorry, late to the conversation. Didn't see it until now.

I actually planned a 3-Act campaign to go from LMoP to Waterdeep Dragon Heist to Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

LMoP was slightly modified, but WDH and DMM are so heavily modified that even if a player has run in them before, it would be almost completely unrecognizable.

STORY:
    I'll have to leave out some really good bits in case my players happen upon this, lol. So basically, I'll only put here what I've already given my players. The real campaign is WAY more twisted, lol.

20 years ago, the elected Lord of Waterdeep, Dagult Neverember embezzled 500,000 gold dragons (the coins, not actual dragons) from the Waterdeep Treasury under Castle Waterdeep, something that was supposed to be impossible, as there are spells to prevent it. Nobody actually knows how he did it. In order to prevent him ever revealing the location of the gold, he had an unnamed wizard help him conceal all memory of the location of the gold inside a magic stone, which was then concealed in Waterdeep Castle. The theft was not discovered until he was away on vacation. He hired a group of spies to get into the castle and steal back the stone, but one of them got drunk in a bar in Waterdeep and revealed the mission within earshot of a gnome named Dalakhar.

Dalakhar quickly gathered 15 accomplices and ambushed Neverember's spies, murdering them and taking the stone. Rather than going after the gold immediately, they decided to play the long game and wait 20 years until the statute of limitations on the crime had run out and they could claim the gold freely. Inspired by Neverember, they hid the stone, then hired a wizard and a group of gnomes to wipe everyone's memories. The wizard and gnomes created a map and a key, and broken them into 16 parts, with each member of the conspiracy keeping a piece of the map and a piece of the key. Dalakhar then suddenly murdered the halfling wizard and the gnomes (dead men tell no tales), and used the halfling's skin to make covers for the magical amulets (that contained a piece of the key and a piece of the map, and which were all counting down to the date they'd regroup and go for the treasure).

The amulets were said to be cursed such that if any member of the conspiracy killed another "shareholder", or tried to take another shareholder's share by force, the offending party would lose their share.

Unfortunately for Dalakhar, the halfling wizard and the gnomes suspected something was up. The halfling, fearing his own safety, had sent his wife and children into the protection of Xanathar, and then never actually cursed the amulets, believing that if he were killed, the shareholders would eventually figure out there was no curse, and they'd all kill each other over the gold. The gnomes, meanwhile, had realized that Dalakhar and company had not made a backup plan in case one or more pieces of the puzzle didn't come back. They couldn't do anything about the key (which the halfling wizard made) but they did secretly hire a 7th gnome to keep a copy of the map, and to create a way to track the shareholder and the amulets.

After the death of the gnomes, the 7th gnome then, realizing the betrayal, built a giant fire-breathing iron boar to track down the shareholders and kill them, and bring back the amulets. Later, the twin daughters of the halfling wizard Harby Goldfeather grew up, and having been raised as assassins by Xanathar, decided to start tracking down Dalakhar and the shareholders and start killing them.

One of the shareholders was a dwarf named Gurnkar Blackanvil (who went by Gundren Rockseeker in Neverwinter, and Gunnar Stonehammer in Waterdeep) joined with his two brothers in Neverwinter. He had become suspicious when one of the shareholders almost immediately disappeared, and later started to learn over the years that other members of the conspiracy had been killed. He located 3 members of the conspiracy near the small town of Phandalin: a hobgoblin called Grol (who was using goblins to raid traffic, especially on The High Road between Neverwinter and Waterdeep, and had a thriving slaverunning business), an evil druid named Glasstaff (who had the entire town of Phandalin occupied in his business: growing and selling magically enhanced drugs), and a female drow named Nezznar who was dealing in cursed magic items).

At the start of the LMoP adventure, each of the players had inherited an amulet from a distant relative who had been killed, either by The 7th Gnome's giant fire-breathing monstrosity, or The Goldfeather Twins). Blackanvil, under the name Rockseeker, hired them to take supplies to Phandalin, but this was just a ruse. The wagon was full of junk, and they were just bait. Blackanvil suspected one of his three former comrades might be the one killing off the shareholders, and was using the clueless party-members as bait to see if Grol, Glasstaff of Nezznar would try to kill them.

By the end of Act 1, the party learned what their amulets were, and learned of the existence of the conspiracy. They took Nezznar prisoner and headed for Waterdeep.

Act 2 has been tracking down the rest of the amulets in Waterdeep, some of which have come into the hands of The 7 Lords of Waterdeep, the 7 lords of the criminal syndicates in Waterdeep. They've also run into a number of mysterious figures who've offered aid, several out of interest in the party's connection to the Waterdeep Dragon Heist, and some as former allies of Blackanvil. So in Act 2, they've discovered that their amulets actually don't connect into a single map but show 16 locations in the sewers where a secret lock has been hidden, and they now surmise that the finished key will unlock the locks and lead them to the treasure.

Act 2 is mostly about finding out where the treasure is.

Act 3, DMM, will be actually going to GET the treasure. But I can't say too much, because my players aren't there yet.

Needless to say, it's actually WAY more complicated. There are some really outrageous things going on in the background. But basically, I started LMoP knowing we would end in DMM, and I worked hard to put hooks between the three adventures to connect them together in a lot of unsual ways.

Not that anyone cares but last night was our last session of Storm King's Thunder. I am happy to say that the players won in the end, took out 2 giant strongholds and the BBEG. I only killed one of the PCs, so everyone was happy! We are now moving on to a new adventure of Stormwreck Isle and Dungeon of the Mad Mage with new PCs.

Thread Information