5E Character Create Playlist
Page 56 of 70 First ... 646545556575866 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by septantrionalis View Post
    I'm experiencing the same issue with SAVEA that I've read in this thread previously. Previously reported issues were addressed with a fix but I can't help but wonder if it broke again.

Aura: 5 all; Moonbeam; IF: FACTION(notself); SAVEA: CON 13 (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 2d10 radiant

The result is many saving throws and respective damage dealt.
    Why would you want to code it this way?

If you do this, each time a creature goes into the area and out even on the same turn, it will take damage. You should code it without SAVEA and use SAVES. Then if they enter the area that is not the start of their turn by walking into it, you need the caster to throw the save on them.

You could also code it to add an effect tag that removes at the end of their turn that it does SAVEA check on, save or fail you would add this effect to say they've gone in that area already before.

I've told others this before be very careful with SAVEA because it's not meant to be used in some of these ways. People are putting it on all their spells like fireball and stuff, causing it to be pushed out of it's true use.

Version Update 2.58
    Fixed: FROMAURA applying multiple times (Note: this is not the one shot tags issue; i.e. SAVEA)
    Changed: Toned down the save icon color to fit more in with default theme

I gotta agree that the life saver is out of place. Its silly and this mod applies it to all saving throws which is kinda dumb. love this extension but if i want to use it i have to deal with the life saver icon on saves. a life saver is a modern thing and so seeing it in a medieval fantasy game take me out of the immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Why would you want to code it this way?

If you do this, each time a creature goes into the area and out even on the same turn, it will take damage. You should code it without SAVEA and use SAVES. Then if they enter the area that is not the start of their turn by walking into it, you need the caster to throw the save on them.

You could also code it to add an effect tag that removes at the end of their turn that it does SAVEA check on, save or fail you would add this effect to say they've gone in that area already before.

I've told others this before be very careful with SAVEA because it's not meant to be used in some of these ways. People are putting it on all their spells like fireball and stuff, causing it to be pushed out of it's true use.
    Of course people are trying to use it in ways they're not sure were considered. There's only so much documentation.

Thank you. I do have the SAVES effect working already. I also have a DISSAV effect to recognize and apply to shapechangers. This is the last piece not automated. I'm just continuing to learn all of what these extensions can do to get the most out of them. Back in April (on page 43 of this thread) this issues seemed to have been resolved for the Spirit Guardians use case. The Moonbeam triggers in the same ways: when entering the area and at the start of the affected creature's turn.
    Last edited by septantrionalis; August 22nd, 2022 at 22:53.

A bug, I think?

Hi there, I've just recently updated everything and think I have found a problem - I'm just not sure what mod it's in.
    I narrowed it down to Better Combat Effects and 5E (and more) Equipped Effects FGU

What happens is, it duplicates effects for some custom items that have effects added to them. It doesn't do it for ALL items, only some items - but it always does it with the same items. Even if I delete them and make them new.

In this case, it's an item called Dawnbringer. Note the effect loads up beside the read eye and again at the bottom of the load.

I can disable BCE and the problem goes away, so I can only imagine the reverse is true too.

Attached is the picture.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You're just jealous the Voices speak to Me!"

- Ultimate License Holder and long time DM currently running D&D 5E.

Minor code change request

Hello. Would you perhaps consider changing lines 1219-1220 in manager_effect_bce5E from
    Code:
    	nDamageAdjust, bVulnerable, bResist = getDamageAdjust(rSource, rTarget, nDamage, rDamageOutput)
    	nDamageAdjust = nDamageAdjust - nReduce
    	return nDamageAdjust, bVulnerable, bResist
    to
    Code:
    	local results = {getDamageAdjust(rSource, rTarget, nDamage, rDamageOutput)};
    	results[1] = results[1] - nReduce;
    	return unpack(results);
    This change means that any extension that gets additional custom arguments from getDamageAdjust will have those arguments preserved through this extension's override of getDamageAdjust.
    This is how the extension TriggerMeTimbers does it.
    Last edited by GEONE; August 28th, 2022 at 05:17.

I'm perfectly fine changing code - I'm not a coder, but I can edit existing code, copy, paste. etc.

So, I use Notepadd++ and it says my final line in that file ends at 976. This is a copy/paste of the filename: manager_effect_bce5E.lua

I went ahead and search for each line in your "code" section, no hits at all under 'find'. I even searched for a individual words in case I did it wrong like getDamageAdjust, nDamageAdjust, bResist - still no hits.

I'm not sure where to go.

thank you for giving it a go

Quote Originally Posted by GEONE View Post
    lines 1219-1220 in manager_effect_bce5E
    Sorry, that was for Better Combat Effects Gold. For the non-gold version, it's lines 594-596. It's in the function customGetDamageAdjust(rSource, rTarget, nDamage, rDamageOutput).

I'm hoping the extension author can change these lines so future versions of the forge extension will be more compatible with other extensions.
    Last edited by GEONE; August 28th, 2022 at 05:40.

Thanks! - I do not own that that one. I'm not sure I fully use this one as it is lol

I'm actually JUST getting to the point of starting to understand effects and using them to enhance items and such.

Just an FYI, I found that line at 568. It looks like this

Code:
    function customGetDamageAdjust(rSource, rTarget, nDamage, rDamageOutput)
    	local nDamageAdjust
    	local nReduce = 0
    	local bVulnerable, bResist
    	local aReduce = getReductionType(rSource, rTarget, "DMGR", rDamageOutput)
    you want me to replace this with the code you suggested? Just checking, because it looks different from your original code.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos0042 View Post
    Thanks! - I do not own that that one. I'm not sure I fully use this one as it is lol

I'm actually JUST getting to the point of starting to understand effects and using them to enhance items and such.

Just an FYI, I found that line at 568. It looks like this

Code:
    function customGetDamageAdjust(rSource, rTarget, nDamage, rDamageOutput)
    	local nDamageAdjust
    	local nReduce = 0
    	local bVulnerable, bResist
    	local aReduce = getReductionType(rSource, rTarget, "DMGR", rDamageOutput)
    I think there may be a miscommunication. I am asking this as a request of the extension's author to increase compatibility with other extensions that might modify getDamageAdjust. This would not help you with the problem you posted.
    Last edited by GEONE; August 28th, 2022 at 11:19.

Thread Information