DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by 99bluerabbit View Post
    The recommendation was more of whether or not you would do it with the 50% off for upgrading

But im glad to hear you can run it on somewhat dated hardware and i will probably buy the license now and just have it in the backup.

Is there anything i will lose out on when upgrading to FGU but still running FGC?
    No, you can actually run both programs on the same computer. They have different installation paths, port forwarding in FGU now works over UDP instead of TCP. All your purchases should also work in FGU.

About "discontinuation": It may be worth to add that FGC is probably still maintained even if it is discontinued. I think the devs mentioned that; so, being discontinued should not mean that it suddenly stops working, first of all it means that there will be no shiny things for FGC (though ruleset updates may still carry over, but I have no idea) So, FGC is then in pure maintenance mode

I think that the devs mentioned that they will "discontinue" FGC once the total number of users of FGC is small enough

Blog Entries
    Classic (FGC) has been in "maintenance mode" for some time now -- ie. no new features added to the client. Last I saw @Moon Wizard say anything was a year ago and he was hoping the Unity adoption rate would let them start planning the FGC sunset within 18 months of FGU's launch, so we're coming up on that by end of the year. Haven't seen any commentary in the meantime on whether or not the FGU adoption has been high enough yet to start thinking about that, however. Which is not surprising -- they typically don't discuss internal statistics in public.

Hardware-wise, my desktop is running an i7-6700 which is coming up on 5 years old. The first few beta releases of FGU were rough, really rough, to the point I just stopped bothering loading it at all. Since release though, it's pretty zippy and I don't notice much difference performance-wise from FGC now.

DLC-wise, we're still supposed to be making official retail DLC compatible with both clients, just that in Classic you'll be missing Unity-specific features like Line of Sight, etc. Community DLC in the forums, etc. may be FGU-specific, just depends. The larger "issue" I suppose is that now Classic is holding back Unity, so the sooner Classic can be sunset and everyone is on the Unity platform, the sooner SmiteWorks can add new features without having to worry if those features break Classic.

I would also mention that you don’t have to use LOS and lighting vision distances.

And with /VSYNC and /imagequality settings it can be made to work on older hardware. But that’s just my opinion. It’s free to download to try in solo mode.

Quote Originally Posted by EllivasKram View Post
    It’s free to download to try in solo mode.
    Yep - something a lot of people don't realize. Load up the FGU free version, make a 5E campaign and activate the SRD data and the FG battle maps. Play around with it and see how it goes. You can now save campaign data in FGU with the free license (you couldn't in FGC) - it's just that the network is disabled, so you won't be able to connect any player instances, including 'localhost' connections.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I'm running FGU as GM/host on a Dell Precision M3800 that is something like 7 years old. i7 2.3 GHZ, 16GB RAM. I really haven't had any issues, though I'm only now starting to play just a bit with lightning. Sure there are times I max the CPU/GPU, but those are rare and usually only a few second in duration. So in part you have to have the right expectations.

Now, don't think any 7 year old laptop will work. This was considered a graphic workstation in it's day, and has a dedicated Quadro K1100M NVidia graphics card. I used it for high end 3D mechanical CAD. But it is still very old technology.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by 99bluerabbit View Post
    Hey,

I'm a big fan of Fantasy Grounds Classic and the way it works and don't feel the need to upgrade to Unity. With the upgrade sale being sent here yesterday (for me) i'm curious to know if there are plans to discontinue FG: Classic or end support for it?

I would love to stay with Classic for as long as i possibly can but if modules will stop being Classic compatible i might need to look into upgrading to Unity.

I hope someone can answer my question and i apologize for the poor grammar since english isn't my first language.

Have a great day everyone!
    Sooner than later please...

hopefully converters will be informed ASAP, as of today we are still required to use FGC to convert any product for the FG shop... there are now expectations to add FGU features to every conversions but at the same time we must use FGC to convert...

Very similar with map making... i would have initially used FGU to create maps for official conversions but can t do anything with a finished product since i have to export it to FGC... so i bought and use Dungeon Draft and i have no intertest or time to learn FGU map making tool anymore...i mean who designs a map making software without export function (not even jpeg)?

Overall very interesting choices from SW

To limit my FGC usage visibility to SW i am thinking of going offline...don t want Doug to think i am using FGC by choice and add to the stat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by readymeal View Post
    To limit my FGC usage visibility to SW i am thinking of going offline...don t want Doug to think i am using FGC by choice and add to the stat.
    FYI, unless you have players (non-local host clients) connect to your session for at least some length of time (45 minutes?) they do not count using FGC as a session for game statistics.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information