5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Any plans to discontinue Fantasy Grounds Classic?

Hey,

I'm a big fan of Fantasy Grounds Classic and the way it works and don't feel the need to upgrade to Unity. With the upgrade sale being sent here yesterday (for me) i'm curious to know if there are plans to discontinue FG: Classic or end support for it?

I would love to stay with Classic for as long as i possibly can but if modules will stop being Classic compatible i might need to look into upgrading to Unity.

I hope someone can answer my question and i apologize for the poor grammar since english isn't my first language.

Have a great day everyone!

I was a big huge fan of FGC (from 2016), but when I passed to FGU I never regret it.

If you have decent HARDWARE and if all people connecting to the game have decent hardware machines then immediately upgrade to Unity.

Stay on FGC only if you have very old hardware.
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

SmiteWorks have said that FGC will be discontinued at some point. I haven't seen announcement for exactly when that will be. I'm sure there'll be a notice period given.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    FGCs days are numbered. Yes there are plans to discontinue it but no 9at least not public) date for that.

Why?
    Primarily because it wont run on new Macs.
    And then because it is two codebases to support.
    And then because all shop content needs to support both platforms.

Eventually usage of FGC will drop to a point that it will become unsupported.
    That does not mean it wont work any more - but it might also mean that.

Quote Originally Posted by *Neuro* View Post
    I was a big huge fan of FGC (from 2016), but when I passed to FGU I never regret it.

If you have decent HARDWARE and if all people connecting to the game have decent hardware machines then immediately upgrade to Unity.

Stay on FGC only if you have very old hardware.

What if not everyone has decent hardware machines? I have it myself but some of my players have laptops that don't have by far exceeded their usual length of service. Any way to fix it then?

I've also heard that Unity runs off of Smiteworks own servers. Is there a way it runs off of my own system like with FGC?

In FGU the server is still your machine. The cloud connection is just a matchmaking server to connect the clients to the host. You can still direct connect with IP like FGC if you wish or if the FGU cloud server is ever down.

Old hardware is always a problem when software adds new features.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 27th, 2021 at 08:57.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 99bluerabbit View Post
    What if not everyone has decent hardware machines? I have it myself but some of my players have laptops that don't have by far exceeded their usual length of service. Any way to fix it then?

I've also heard that Unity runs off of Smiteworks own servers. Is there a way it runs off of my own system like with FGC?
    SmiteWorks have no plans to cripple the software intentionally.
    But they will make a decision at some point to no longer put resources into it.
    If lots of people are still using it then that date will likely be further away.
    As more people transition to FGU then the date will likely draw closer.

Unfortunately for those with older computers many things will stop working and as their operating systems stop being patched by vendors then they also become more risky to continue to use in the face of ever increasing hacking, malware and other virus threats.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    SmiteWorks have no plans to cripple the software intentionally.
    But they will make a decision at some point to no longer put resources into it.
    If lots of people are still using it then that date will likely be further away.
    As more people transition to FGU then the date will likely draw closer.

Unfortunately for those with older computers many things will stop working and as their operating systems stop being patched by vendors then they also become more risky to continue to use in the face of ever increasing hacking, malware and other virus threats.
    So you recommend atleast buying the license now?

in regards to the computer hardware i might've needed to be a bit more specific. When we're talking poor computers i refer to ones still running win10 updates but the hardware being limited due to age. One player is on a laptop from 2016-2017 so a little old. Would it be able to run FGU without most issues?

Blog Entries
    i cant recommend to anyone how they spend their money
    there will always be sale opportunities so if you arent in a hurry just grab it when its on sale next or next time you can afford it

my laptop died 6 weeks ago
    it was a well used and trusted device
    it was a good 5 years old, i7, 8GB and SSD but an intel 400 gpu

it was pretty bad on early FGU but i didnt try it on more recent builds
    i currently use a 7yr old i5 desktop with 8gb and SSD and put an $80 2GB GFX card in there and FGU runs well on that

so i cant tell you how FGU will run on your devices but decent GFX/GPU makes a big difference

I think the main driver will be when someone in the group buys a device that wont run classic...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    i cant recommend to anyone how they spend their money
    there will always be sale opportunities so if you arent in a hurry just grab it when its on sale next or next time you can afford it

my laptop died 6 weeks ago
    it was a well used and trusted device
    it was a good 5 years old, i7, 8GB and SSD but an intel 400 gpu

it was pretty bad on early FGU but i didnt try it on more recent builds
    i currently use a 7yr old i5 desktop with 8gb and SSD and put an $80 2GB GFX card in there and FGU runs well on that

so i cant tell you how FGU will run on your devices but decent GFX/GPU makes a big difference

I think the main driver will be when someone in the group buys a device that wont run classic...
    The recommendation was more of whether or not you would do it with the 50% off for upgrading

But im glad to hear you can run it on somewhat dated hardware and i will probably buy the license now and just have it in the backup.

Is there anything i will lose out on when upgrading to FGU but still running FGC?

Thread Information