5E Character Create Playlist
Page 7 of 9 First ... 56789 Last
    We do all of our File API through .Net libraries and file streams. We highly recommend not running FG off of a networked or synched folder; and performance issues or data corruption may occur if you choose to ignore that recommendation.

Regards,
    JPG

Geez, are you even interested in solving these performance issues? I used FGU via network for *months* without any such issues and we live in 2021, not 1995. Other users report the same issues without using network or cloud folders. Get your act together please and stop pushing the blame on your users instead of seriously investigating! Next time maybe ask for logs or something useful.

Time to lock another thread I guess. Have fun everyone.

As I mentioned, we have not made ANY changes to the client for 7 weeks; so if there was a change in performance in that period, it was not due to any changes on our side.

I'm making suggestions for how to improve performance in general; which you appear to want to ignore and do your own way. FG is a file-access-intensive application; and there are no plans to change that at this time.

Regards,
    JPG

No freezing whatsoever this week. Still running the data folder on a network resource, same extensions. Various changes, though:

- Fresh installation of Windows on the server PC.
    - Major OS update on the NAS.
    - Slight edit to scroll-wheel behavior in Token Height extension.
    - Different map used in game.

That being said, except for last time we never had this kind of regular (likely autosave interval) freezes. My suspicion is that they would have been fixed if we all just restarted our FGU clients. Next time it happens we will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It sounds like it could be a performance issue with specific map data.

When the rolls slow down, have you tried closing all the open maps and see if it gets better? (Points to a map performance issue)
    What maps do you have open when you see the issue?
    How was the LoS and lighting applied to the map?
    How many tokens are on the map?
    What is the resolution of the screen being used to display the map; and is the map in the background or in a floating window?

If it's a specific campaign and set of images, you can try zipping up the campaign folder, and providing it to us along with the steps to see the issue.

Regards,
    JPG
    MoonWizard, you were asking if the OP in this thread had " the map in the background or in a floating window?"
    The question implys that ONE of these two options is more prone to cauing lag/freezez/hangups... but you never went further to state WHICH of these two was more intensive of a choice for the Client (or HOST) .. would you please elaborate just enough for me to know which of these two options is more taxing to the system?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreM View Post
    MoonWizard, you were asking if the OP in this thread had " the map in the background or in a floating window?"
    The question implys that ONE of these two options is more prone to cauing lag/freezez/hangups... but you never went further to state WHICH of these two was more intensive of a choice for the Client (or HOST) .. would you please elaborate just enough for me to know which of these two options is more taxing to the system?
    Months ago (I think when that comment was made) there were some issues with images placed in the background causing problems. It has long since been resolved and should no longer matter.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

One drawback of background images/maps is that larger window size leads to more GPU utilization even when everything around the map is empty. But now that the unlock button remains present it is quite a useful feature.

Sorry for the late entry here, but I just noticed this thread and want to share some statistics for consideration to the devs and people having issues.
    1) My campaign has been running for exactly one year as of 8/13/21 in FG.
    2) We started in FGC, I'm the GM, and owner of the ultimate edition.
    3) My PC is a gaming rig and I am a server/network engineer by trade currently doing cyber just to point out I am quite aware of how a system should work internally and network wise. I have ZERO issues with running software.
    4) Before our switch to FGU we had ZERO issues and this is with everything you can imagine loaded at the time and 8 players and massive battles.
    5) All out issues started after upgrading to FGU, but we've stuck with it because it allows us to play together in a means we couldn't prior since the days of high school decades ago.
    6) I LOVE the idea this product presents, but there is something going on under the hood.

That stated, the above issues experienced by various people are present and usually the indicator is small stutters in usage and the dice just failing to work, floating in space, etc. Now, until today I was thinking, and still am, that perhaps part of the issue was the way I was upgraded and actually came online to see what the recommended means of performing a clean install was, but noticed one of the devs pointing out to just create a new campaign and that gave me an idea of something that I am going to try this week, though I am worried about potential losses of content in recreating the campaign, though technically nothing should be lost as the original campaign folder will still be present. I thank the person who pointed that out.

Now with that stated, I'd like to point out a few things to the devs and I say this with respect to their hard work.
    1) Can we get some tools for monitoring mod and extension performance as well as overall performance please? I'd like to know what my load times are specifically and have them available as a log. If this is already present, please have it has an option for the GM under settings or something. This will help us to troubleshoot issues on our own. Build in an export to support option to automate shooting you logs when requested as well.
    2) I've also noticed a lot of the troubleshooting points from the devs fail to point out the actual limitations of the FG software. Example: Tell us is there is a limit to tokens on a map or map files size. Let us know how/if those limitations scale with system performance/capability. If I've got a 5k gaming rig and it's performing the same as my 4 year old laptop then there is a serious issue with the software and the way is scales to resource availability and it's only fair we, as the users, are aware of that.

That said, again, I have nothing but thanks for the devs and all their hard work as I understand the development side of things all too wall, but we need more communication and transparency. There is an issue here, and if that issue is performance bottlenecks, then we as the users need to know the limitations so we can plan around them and make a better informed decision on how to plan our campaign evenings.

Thanks in advance for your time,

ChipDancer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipDancer View Post
    1) Can we get some tools for monitoring mod and extension performance as well as overall performance please? I'd like to know what my load times are specifically and have them available as a log. If this is already present, please have it has an option for the GM under settings or something. This will help us to troubleshoot issues on our own. Build in an export to support option to automate shooting you logs when requested as well.
    Already available, just check your log files. Open them from the FG Data directory. You can also use the Compile Logs button on the console screen or launch screen. All the module and extension load times are in the console.log file.

2) I've also noticed a lot of the troubleshooting points from the devs fail to point out the actual limitations of the FG software. Example: Tell us is there is a limit to tokens on a map or map files size. Let us know how/if those limitations scale with system performance/capability. If I've got a 5k gaming rig and it's performing the same as my 4 year old laptop then there is a serious issue with the software and the way is scales to resource availability and it's only fair we, as the users, are aware of that.
    I don't know if the devs know this yet. They will have to respond.

My opinion is its going to depend. It's not going to be just a single thing like number of tokens. But it will also depend upon the number of LOS occluders, the number of lights, the number of vision types (normal, darkvision, etc). But you probably already know that.

I do know that they are looking to upgrade the LUA engine, as the current one (is it still 5.1?) has known issues but preliminary tests with newer ones have had significant challenges.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The biggest thing that affects FG performance is:

1) Amount of data when a record list is opened.
    2) Amount of LoS occluders on a map.
    3) Number of FG controls within a window (there are a number of users experiencing slow down on character sheet tabs where there are a lot of spells with a lot of FG controls).
    4) Opening a large module.
    5) The graphics card/driver running at high FPS for FGU.

@ChipDancer - I suggest the first thing you look at is the last in the list. Sime high end computers run FGU badly because their graphics config is setup in such a way that they run FGU at a high frames-per-second (FPS) level - taking up a large amount of processing power. Refer to this FGU Wiki troubleshooting document for more info: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...cing+GPU+Usage
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information