DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Editing a module, doors on maps

First problem:

The process of revising a module seems very cumbersome. Let's suppose I have created a module, and I no longer have the original campaign I created for the module creation. But now I want to edit the map I created.

Apparently, I have to copy the map, export that map to a new module, and then go back to the original module, extract it from its zipped mod file, and manually edit the XML file to replace the old map xml with the new map xml and rezip the module.

I would really like a less clunky workflow that doesn't involve unzipping and rezipping .mod files and hacking XML.

map-images.png

Second Problem

Doors won't save. On this map, I have been creating walls and doors. Look at the doors, which are all red (doors). I actually created them as doors (blue). Every time I export and then reload this map, the doors have become walls. I don't understand why.

2021-05-20 (2).png

1. We do not have any plans to support for re-editing modules at this time. We always recommend using a development campaign when creating modules.

2. How are you creating the metadata XML file? The data format changed between v4.0 and v4.1; so you'll need to make sure you're using the latest export tool. Also, you can right click on an image layer in the image data panel, and select Export Metadata from the radial menu with v4.1 as well.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    1. We do not have any plans to support for re-editing modules at this time. We always recommend using a development campaign when creating modules.
    Sure, that's what I do. I think re-editing modules would be a nice feature, though.

How are you creating the metadata XML file? The data format changed between v4.0 and v4.1; so you'll need to make sure you're using the latest export tool.
    /export

I have the latest FGU update.

So I understand your taking an image file from a module editing it in a new campaign and when you reload the campaign your edits are gone? If this is what you are doing try making a copy of the image inside the new campaign and edit that.

If you want to fix the module your going to have to edit the DB file.

So I understand your taking an image file from a module editing it in a new campaign and when you reload the campaign your edits are gone?
    No.

I create an image file (e.g. a map) in a development campaign.

I create a module from that development campaign.

I create a new campaign and load that module.

I decide I want to edit the map that is part of the module (so it will be edited in future campaigns I load with the same module).

Since there is no functionality to edit modules, I have to copy the map, edit it, export it, and then go unzip both the original module file and the new one, and replace the old XML with the new XML for the parts I edited.

This is a cumbersome, manual, error prone process. I would like an easier way, but apparently there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by AmadanNaBriona View Post
    I decide I want to edit the map that is part of the module (so it will be edited in future campaigns I load with the same module).

Since there is no functionality to edit modules, I have to copy the map, edit it, export it, and then go unzip both the original module file and the new one, and replace the old XML with the new XML for the parts I edited.

This is a cumbersome, manual, error prone process. I would like an easier way, but apparently there isn't one.
    Can't you just change the map inside your dev campaign and do a new export? That's how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    Can't you just change the map inside your dev campaign and do a new export? That's how I do it.
    The dev campaign does not exist anymore. I am talking about editing the module after I have already exported it.

I guess in the future I will just keep all my development campaigns saved somewhere. But it's annoying that finding something you want to change in a module once it's packaged up requires so much hacking.

I'd still like to figure out why my doors keep being saved as walls.

Thread Information