DICE PACKS BUNDLE

New DM to FG (he codes IRL). - where to start

OK, odd question.

I have convinced my brother to dive into DMing in FG (unity or classic). He REALLY wants to do undermountain, so he wants to start creating it... not being a coder myself, Does anyone have a few links I could toss his way to start him in the right direction for him to see the basics in FGU coding/module creation from a coders standpoint.

I have all the FG 2e bundle items (THANKS to everyone for those!) so I assume we will start with something already done, but I know he will want to be actively creating while he learns as a player first.

I am not sure if I am asking this correctly but thought I would start here.

thanks

Hi Morenu,

Good news, he does not need any coding knowledge... trust me cause i know none... He needs patience and persistence. The PDF, a text editor and that s about it.

knowing some editing short cut also helps https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdo...extcontrol.xcp

I think i watched that video when i started... It s for 5E but it s all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXhjvOJJww

Also unfortunately, we still need to convert with FGC as any module made with FGU might not work with FGC (if he plans to sell it in the FG shop). If he only converts it for his own personal use only then FGU is fine however it would be sad not to share so much work with other 2E enthusiasts.

Good luck to him.

Blog Entries
    Best thing to do would be look at how store DLC adventures are structured in terms of how the data is presented compared to the PDF and/or physical copy.

Learn how to put together a small scenario for personal use; add maps and handouts, make NPCs, encounters, items, treasure parcels, story entries and maybe even a reference manual. Build from there. No programming needed - I certainly don't know any and it didn't stop me (and trust me if I can do it then most people can do it if they set their minds to it...).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thx. Who would i ask about if someone is already working on it

I have personally converted a few modules for myself over the years and have kicked around doing Undermountain. I am not writing this to discourage anyone from doing this because I find a lot of fun in doing these. Just know three things, it does take quite a bit of time to convert a module, let alone a whole box set. The second thing, and this is what has kept me from doing Undermountain, is the map. I have not found a good way to do the maps, at least the original 2e versions, without making them way too big. The only solution I came up with is cutting them up but there really is no clear cut place to do this, at least that I see. The last thing is if you do it to put on the site for sale then you have a much smaller issue with stocking the dungeon. UM is huge and much of it was left up to the DM to populate so if you do it for personal use you will be spending a lot more time making it.

As for the map maybe someone here could give you a good idea how to tackle that project, I have never asked, but we do have many bright people here with great ideas.

Now after saying all that if your brother does end up doing this and it finds its way to the store page here on FG I will be one of the first to buy it. I remember many nights huddled over the map with friends playing this... what fun it was for everyone to see all the secret doors. No way to really hid those maps!

Blog Entries
    Yeah Undermountain boxed set would be great. It is a big beast to slay for sure though... and the maps would be a challenge quite likely.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information