5E Character Create Playlist

Low-light vision and Lighting Update

So what are people's work arounds for low-light vision (e.g. PFRPG elf)? An elf walks into a room with candles all 20 feet apart. The room should be completely lit with dim light to the elf, whereas a human will have blocks of darkness in between the candles.

There is no support for "light-doubling" low-light vision (Pathfinder 1E, 3.5E). While we talked about it a bit, it is a bit of an exception for game system visions; and exceptionally complicated to add to the existing system. The lights are already a performance consideration, and any "multipliers" essentially double the work for every multiple supported. At this point, we are not planning on doing anything specific with this.

That said, perhaps one of the community members has come up with a workaround as you requested above.

Regards,
    JPG

I either ignore low-light vision completely for players & npcs or I just tell those people what they can see differently (if theres somehting interesting in the room for example). Or give them a +4 to perception/spot in dim light.
    Keep it simple and dont disturb the game flow is what I always suggest.

I’ve just started a conversation about this with my players, and I think I’m going to leave the lighting as is and just allow those with low-light vision to ignore penalties for dim light (primarily this means they won’t have the miss chance).

Quote Originally Posted by chaiwalla View Post
    So what are people's work arounds for low-light vision (e.g. PFRPG elf)? An elf walks into a room with candles all 20 feet apart. The room should be completely lit with dim light to the elf, whereas a human will have blocks of darkness in between the candles.
    If you think it's worth implementing, you can vote for it on the wishlist: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=136405
    In the meantime you can house-rule it. There are some good ideas in this thread (and one in the comments of the wishlist entry).

I will give all my players, including humans, some sort of darkvision after a short rest in darkness (to adjust the eyes) Not so strong as Dwarven darkvision, but I think that this is a good compromise However, you may want to keep the range short enough to make torches etc. worth it

Thread Information