STAR TREK 2d20

players and dms and popularity

I have played C&C a cpl times on fantasy grounds and really enjoy AD&D and C&C because of the nostalgia. But I really really enjoy the old school feel and simplicity that C&C has. But how easy is it to find player for this rule set via the forums for unity? I am considering buying the entire C&C collect bundle and DM'ing it. I Have never DM'd it but I do DM PF2e and want to DM another ruleset other than DnD. So would it be worth the money or would I be wasting my money trying to get players from an already small pool of players lfg for C&C?

this post seems to be the example of my fears.

Blog Entries
    5E recruit is always much faster than other systems.

It will also depend on TimeZone and Time and Day of Week.
    I ran C&C for a number of years and it always took longer to recruit but we always had players.

Blog Entries
    Until FG released the AD&D ruleset C&C was the game I played all the time. I myself had up to 4 concurrent games on the go every two weeks counting upwards of 25 unique players during that time, and multiple players who played in more than one game.

C&C is popular enough, but you'll never be beating players off with a stick like you will with 5e (still not sure I worded that right...). I found the most success when trying to recruit older players, and stayed away from people in their teens and early 20s... not absolute to be sure, but I maintained a pretty solid core roster of players for close to six years by focusing on the 40s and older crowd - this may not be as effective now because those people can just go and play AD&D (and get really spoiled by the amazing ruleset).

I generally take the summer months (late May to mid September) off from gaming or there would be room for you in one of my still ongoing games.

Have you tried the TLG discord server? There are often people looking to join games over there.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

i like playing 5e for its laziness essentially its fast and easy and rp focused but i really enjoying playing and dming pf1 and 2 and i liked both ADAD and CC but my friend already has the 5e and ADAD dming on lock and i got pf1/2 dming on lock and i played CC and liked it alot and was wondering if i popped the 250 for the entire bundle if it would be worth the money or would it collect dust because no players

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toastsniffer187 View Post
    i like playing 5e for its laziness essentially its fast and easy and rp focused but i really enjoying playing and dming pf1 and 2 and i liked both ADAD and CC but my friend already has the 5e and ADAD dming on lock and i got pf1/2 dming on lock and i played CC and liked it alot and was wondering if i popped the 250 for the entire bundle if it would be worth the money or would it collect dust because no players
    All you really need for C&C on FG is the ruleset - that comes with A0 (module), the PHB and M&T. Plenty there to get you going.

Start a game when you get 2 or 3 players. Build from there... people will often join an existing game faster than one that is still recruiting and "might" get started in the next month (or, might not...).

Add extra books from the C&C line as you feel the need. Personally, the adventure modules give me next to nothing because I'm always converting old D&D or AD&D content, or making my own stuff. Look at DLC that adds content to the game (spells, classes, monsters, etc...) as your priority.

The Adventurers Backpack has been complete for a number of months now... no idea why it's being held back from release.

Edit to add; at just $10 for the ruleset and included content, you probably can't find a better value for your money on FG.
    Last edited by JohnD; May 16th, 2021 at 21:33.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information