5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Darkvision With Ambient Light

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but I've been unable to find it...

In 4.1 (D&D 5E) it seems that having ambient light turned on on a map makes it so that PCs with darkvision are able to see unlimited distance rather than be limited to 60 ft. The problem is this seems to occur even when a mask is applied to the ambient lighting.

I noticed this on my campaign with tons of extensions, but I tried it on a fresh new campaign with 1 character and no extensions, and it seems to be the same.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Ambient light will light up the whole map, unless you use masking to limit the ambient lighting. Since normal vision on a token can see any lit up by ambient light, this is added to what the token can see by darkvision as well.

If I'm not understanding you issue, then please post pictures and exact steps to see show what you mean.

Regards,
    JPG

It works as I'd expect with ambient light on with no mask, but the masking doesn't seem to work correctly.

I might just not understand how it should work...

Darkvision 60 - No Ambient Light:

Darkvision - No Ambient.PNG

Darkvision 60 - With Ambient Green Light (No Mask):

Darkvision - Ambient Green No Mask.PNG

Darkvision 60 - With Ambient Green Light and Mask covering the entire map (Token Fog of War Reset) - Shouldn't be able to see where the blue arrows point (mask should cover):

Darkvision - Ambient Green - Totally Masked.PNG

Darkvision 60 - With Ambient Green Light and Mask revealing 4 rectangles (Token Fog of War *NOT* Reset):

Darkvision - Ambient Green - Rectangles revealed by mask.PNG

Darkvision 60 - With Ambient Green Light and Mask revealing 4 rectangles (Token Fog of War Reset):

Darkvision - Ambient Green - Rectangles revealed by mask - FOW Reset.PNG

I feel like the token should not be able to see beyond 60' in this last image OR be able to see a green (not gray) rectangle beyond 60' as that ambient light should come through the mask.

Sincere thanks for taking a look at this.

-Matt
    Last edited by rocketvaultgames; May 14th, 2021 at 21:55.

I have some fixes already provided by @cpinder that I'm going to try to package up tomorrow for a fast incremental version update. This appears to be fixed in the build I'm testing which has the other fixes.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information