STAR TREK 2d20

Give rights to player to update colaboratively a note

Hello all !

I am curently running a game of ivestigation and intrigue and my players find it really anoying not being able to edit colaboratively

I saw this was repported already four years ago:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...to-edit-a-note

Was this somehow fixed and I am missing where is the option to enable "more collaborative rights" to players?
    Or it is not something available?

If you have any idea on how to tackle this issue, wa are already thinking of using something else than FG but it means running multiple software in parallel and the combo Discord+FG is already taking it's toll on one of my player's laptop...

Anyway many thanks in advance if someone can lead me to a solution here!

No, but this extensions is exactly what you need https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ency-Extension
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Well, we tried this extension but sadly it does not at all what we need here.

The desired and expected behavior would be the one that you can have in FG when you (DM) edit on the fly the same note / character sheet as a player. The changes are made in real time and colaborativelly.

What Investigator from Player Agency does is far from that. From our experience trying it the other day it ended up being more a hassle to use than what we expected: For instance if a player submit a message twice by mistake it won't merge it. Also, players except the owner can't edit their own sections (or only by a shaky system of note nesting). The extension just does a basic print "character name + txt" in truth. This "shoot and forget" behavior is far from what anyone can expect when they think about collaborative edition these days.

I think the most frustrating thing here is that you can have this behavior between DM and player. But not between players themselves and thus gives the illusion that it would be possible with a simple configuration. But I guess this can be compared to the inability to share certain categories of images/stories with players : if this has not been fixed in such a long time since noticed, and even with the migration to Unity, I'm guessing this is core to the maner of how FG is built and that we may never see a fix for this.

It's is a bit of a bummer but my players already moved on from the idea of being able to handle this in FG and started to work with an alternative tool.

In any case, many thanks for the quick and clear answer !

Well I would have thought the Player Agency extension was way better than nothing at all but YMMV.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by VegaFontana View Post
    if this has not been fixed in such a long time since noticed, and even with the migration to Unity, I'm guessing this is core to the maner of how FG is built and that we may never see a fix for this.
    It's not a case of "fixing" anything. This is very much a design philosophy within Fantasy Grounds. Only the GM and a maximum of one player can own a record at a time - only a player that owns a record can make changes to it.

It might be possible for someone to write an extension that allows a player to essentially request a "lock" on the record, gain ownership, make their updates and then releases the lock for others to then make changes. But it wouldn't be possible to do this on the fly - i.e. everyone be able to make changes at the same time.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It might be possible for someone to write an extension that allows a player to essentially request a "lock" on the record, gain ownership, make their updates and then releases the lock for others to then make changes. But it wouldn't be possible to do this on the fly - i.e. everyone be able to make changes at the same time.
    Tried this first but was unable to prevent player b from requesting ownership while player a is still writing etc...

Thread Information