DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unity vs Classic

I'm a long time classic user, and have a bit of money now to where I can afford to upgrade to Unity. For savage worlds is there anything that particularly makes unity worth it bs classic?

The benefits of Unity are 64 bit so no memory issues, easier connection brokering (no port forwarding); dynamic Line of Sight (dynamic lighting coming soon); better asset and character management; make your own maps; add layers to maps on the fly for things like spell templates and other stuff. The ruleset is the same.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dershem View Post
    I'm a long time classic user, and have a bit of money now to where I can afford to upgrade to Unity. For savage worlds is there anything that particularly makes unity worth it bs classic?
    Upgrade to Unity, its worth it, and getting better all the time!

Also, upgrading to Unity does not mean you can't also use Classic as well, just make sure you have a new folder or drive for the Data folders (where campaigns etc are store) so Classic and Unity have separate data folders.

The map scaling and LoS are worth the money. Can't wait until they get lighting effects.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgain View Post
    The map scaling...
    To me, this was the largest improvement. There's a ton of quality of life features too that I didn't know I missed - but definitely did once they were present. Another is the ability to change map grid units and prefixes (without extensions).
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Thanks all!

Blog Entries
    Classic wont run on newer Macs.
    That is possibly the biggest driver if you are currently still happy on Classic you dont need to change until someone in the group cant run Classic any longer.
    On the other side, Unity is 64bit only and is not supported on Win 7/8 (it runs on most but there is no support for it).

The most important reason to switch is Classic will be one step closer to be being shut down so Unity can really shine (for example, all new content has to work under both, and this suffer Classic's limitations).

Quote Originally Posted by amerigoV View Post
    The most important reason to switch is Classic will be one step closer to be being shut down so Unity can really shine (for example, all new content has to work under both, and this suffer Classic's limitations).
    This can't happen soon enough.

Watch out if someone of your players have low end hardware, it could affect loading times, from my experiences. If you have decent hardware and decent DSL connections then go to UNITY. Bu first check your hardware.

FGC works on potato hardwares, FGU no.
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

Thread Information