DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    And in case you don't believe my maths, here are two LED candles on a stone floor which I just photographed:

Attachment 46409

Note that the brightness monotonically falls off from either light to the mid-point, which is where the minimum brightness occurs.

Hywel

I can't view your attachment Hywel, not sure what the issue is.

Don't know why that's not working, let's try again:

YER09021.jpg

Hywel

Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    In 5E D&D we have two levels of brightness: Bright light, and Dim light. I think all lighting should be normalized to the two values, as I don't recall any rule in 5E that says "if two or more dim lights illuminated the same square, it becomes bright light."
    You need to stop considering the lighting system only in terms of 5E. It needs to be system agnostic.
    Last edited by Surge; May 6th, 2021 at 20:46. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    You need to stop considering the lighting system only in terms of 5E. It needs to by system agnostic.
    5E is what I play, so that's my perspective. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HywelPhillips View Post
    And in case you don't believe my maths, here are two LED candles on a stone floor which I just photographed:

Attachment 46409

Note that the brightness monotonically falls off from either light to the mid-point, which is where the minimum brightness occurs.

Hywel
    I think no-one doubts that light is additive As I wrote it is more about the default settings of the falloffs So, yes, maybe some settings about the default falloffs may be good, but that would be more settings, and one still needs to define the standard value of this setting

I think addition should be kept of course as others, you and I argued before

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind, many RPGs use two light levels (bright and dim) to represent two ranges of light levels. Those without penalty, and those with penalties. They are really not trying to say that all areas with bright or dim really have the same brightness (i.e. number of lumens), but rather that in terms of lightning, they all have the same penalty or game effects.

Most folks don't expect VTT lighting to mimic the aesthetics or the rules, they expect it to appear like they see in the real world. But, to some, they want the VTT to represent the rules and ignore the expectations the real world places upon the players.

Hence why I like the steep fall offs, it helps appease my real world expectations while clearly indicating the "rules".

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I agree that lights should not be additive. No game function and jarring and unrealistic visually.

I've responded here; closing this thread as it is old.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post600741

JPG

Thread Information