FG Spreadshirt Swag

Save maps after using Create Image Record

I've been making liberal use of the ability to add objects, line of sight, and all sorts of tiles to existing images to create my own maps. The thing is, I'd like to save some of my hard work once in a while. After taking a single 10x10 forest tile from an asset pack and expanding it into a positively massive multi-part map with a hundred different details I lost all my progress when I went and "renamed" the file and its unidentified title as well. Fantasy grounds just reverted that image back to the original 10x10 tile as though nothing had ever happened in the first place.

I can understand quite clearly that my first mistake was attempting to rename the file in-editor, but I'm not sure I know why. Isn't there some way I can save new files made out of assets from the many packs I've purchased? Will I only have one option every time I open (for example) Dark Forest 10x10--to start a new map or build on an existing one? Also, in the event I should lose the data, like I did above, how can I get it back? I have already checked my local folders and there's definitely no new files. Should I be approaching map creation from a different angle?

Any advice would be welcome.

Blog Entries
    Have a look in the /campaign folder you were working in. There may be some db-backup and db-session files.
    One of these may have the saved work in it.

I'm a bit unclear as to what you have actually done here. I just tested things by opening images and then clicking on the green button to create a new image and then dragged in a bunch of assets. I then gave the image a name and it's still there. I also tried opening an image from the assets pack and then clicking on Create image record; again added a bunch of stuff and then renamed the image. Again it's still there with all the stuff on it. So how exactly did you create the image and where did you rename it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; April 26th, 2021 at 17:33.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

If you changed the name of the actual graphic files in the campaign or FG data folder after you created the image record; it will cause broken asset links. (Just in case that's what happened.)

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you changed the name of the actual graphic files in the campaign or FG data folder after you created the image record; it will cause broken asset links. (Just in case that's what happened.)

Regards,
    JPG
    Based on your description, I suspect that's what happened. I've included a few images that may help explain what I did. If that's true, then what is the proper way I should be saving my new maps?

Maps & Renaming.png

A silly question, Meracanus. When you opened the file you worked so hard on, did you open the image just like you did when you began work on the map? That is, did you open it from Assets, select the images button, navigate to the folder, etc. Or did you open the map from the Images button on the right side of FG that lists all the images and maps in your campaign? The attached image shows the Images list I mean.
    Images.png

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    A silly question, Meracanus. When you opened the file you worked so hard on, did you open the image just like you did when you began work on the map? That is, did you open it from Assets, select the images button, navigate to the folder, etc. Or did you open the map from the Images button on the right side of FG that lists all the images and maps in your campaign? The attached image shows the Images list I mean.
    Images.png
    Ah...well, don't I feel quite foolish right now. Turns out that's exactly the mistake I made. I thought I had to exclusively use the assets folder, but upon closer inspection there were my maps, in the images folder, the whole time.

Appreciate the step by step instructions.

Glad I could help! There are a number of things in FG that are confusing at first look, but after experience seem obvious.

Thread Information