5E Character Create Playlist

Playing a NPC without a player character

I would like a person not currently in my campaign to play an NPC for a couple of weeks, as he joins the party.

I know a PC can control an NPC but can it be done without setting up a new PC?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Why not just make the NPC a PC? Remember, just because we call the database object in FG a PC or NPC, it doesn't mean that's the same thing as the terms we use in the game itself. It just means what functions the object has available to us.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Extensions can do this or even raw FGU simply by dragging an NPC link out of CT and onto the players portrait. That will not give you full ownership and control but may do enough to satisfy your needs. If you want something more elaborate you can look in paid extensions - but really that is a combat groups/assistant GM thing in my world which is not free. This shows an example of a PC player turning evil and taking over an orc war band to fight PC's.

Best solution is free - and that is see if the raw FGU dropping NPC link onto portrait method works enough for you.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; April 23rd, 2021 at 18:51.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by GKEnialb View Post
    Great video but I would like someone with no PC to run the NPC. The video allocates a NPC to an existing PC

Some dummy PC perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Extensions can do this or even raw FGU simply by dragging an NPC link out of CT and onto the players portrait. That will not give you full ownership and control but may do enough to satisfy your needs. If you want something more elaborate you can look in paid extensions - but really that is a combat groups/assistant GM thing in my world which is not free. This shows an example of a PC player turning evil and taking over an orc war band to fight PC's.

Best solution is free - and that is see if the raw FGU dropping NPC link onto portrait method works enough for you.
    Ideally I would like someone with no PC to run the NPC. The video allocates a NPC to an existing PC

Some dummy PC perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBazz View Post
    Ideally I would like someone with no PC to run the NPC. The video allocates a NPC to an existing PC

Some dummy PC perhaps?
    Easiest to do (as EXTENSIONS = RISK) is just to make a dummy PC that the player will play in normal RAW FGU.

As far as my world of RISK, I'm not really sure what your trying to do.

For sure I can assign a dummy PC (and have done so in past) for the player to use as a login and add it to its own combat group and then make that invisible - then simply drop an NPC from combat tracker onto their portrait for them to have FULL ownership and full control of it where I keep that NPC in a combat group so that it does not have to ever be removed from combat tracker (can just be made invisible). The login PC will still really be there just nobody will see or interact with it. And the actual shared NPC will simply be available to be placed in maps as required as it will never be removed from combat tracker. That is with combat groups and assistant GM or polymorphism for the full ownership of NPC when dropping on portrait. The video was demoing using Assistant GM to give player full access to NPCs which is overkill for what you want.

But really - raw FGU and a PC that pretends to be an NPC seems more like what you want if in reality your are treating it as just another PC in your party.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    No, you can not do what you want the way you want to do it. Clients can not control NPC objects, only PC objects can control NPC objects. Make your NPC a PC object and then have your player control the PC.

Really not that hard to make an NPC into a PC. Cut and paste a few things and you are done. Probably have spent more time trying to avoid doing that then it would take to do it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information