DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Need help to set up a feat (Robilar's Gambit)

Okay, here's the thing. Robilar's gambit is a feat that allows you to do things, but in exchange anyone attacking you has a +4 bonus to hit and damage. I easly can set up the bonus to hit (just applying an effect of "AC: -4), but I really don't know if there's a way to set up a "take more damage" that isn't "VULN".

So far I used a straight approach in setting an effect "Robilar" when one activates the feat, and setting a "IFT: CUSTOM (Robilar); ATK: 4; DMG: 4" on everyone else but it gets VEYR annoying when you run encounters with more than 2-3 creatures.
    Recently I tried swapping with the Aura system (I set the above effect in an aura 100 ft. across, since encounters rarely happen to be fought on larger distances than that, that applies on pretty much everyone), but it kinda slows down FG and doesn't always count as "on" when it's needed.

So, is there a way to script that "if I get damaged, add 4 to incoming damage rolls" I'm missing?

Hm, you could use the toolbar for this. In the toolbar are buttons to select all friendly or enemy tokens Create a dummy NPC which applies the effect IFT: CUSTOM (Robilar); ATK: 4; DMG: 4, and select all enemy tokens before you apply it Then that is just as many clicks as if you would just have one enemy creature (I always have that dummy NPC in my CT, also for spontaneously creating certain damage rolls etc.)

That's what I did at first, it's just annoying to have to do that every single encounter or every single time a new combatant appears (i'm lazy, sooo lazy). For now I set up an AURA effect for that: the player just clicks on it every round he wants to use the feat and that's it. Still, Auras require the tokens to be moved sometimes or they won't apply the effects, which can be annoying in different way:°D

Yeah, the problem with the Aura code of Kent is that it checks the effect on movement which is cumbersome and actually too much because you just need it for combat

My idea is to add an effect window to the CT for global effects which apply to everyone. Then the code for effects will not only check the actor's effects but also from the global list, there one could add those Aura effects (with a range descriptor, which is then only checked when it actually needs that effect (so, it first looks whether it is the desired effect like AC, then it will check the distance to the carrier of this aura)) The code would then check for effects at the usual timing when you roll the dice, completely independ of movement because movement is done separately to the dice rolling Would also have the advantage that a look at the global effects window is probably better for performance than looking at possible AURA effects at all other combatants

However, I do not know how much time I need for that (and I want to rewrite the existing effects' list for better performance to avoid that the additional global effects do not decrease performance)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 23rd, 2021 at 18:47.

Well it's mostly because it's too much work for ONE feat not many people use. It's fine when it's a short battle with say, 3-4 players and a couple enemies. It turns cumbersome when you have a campaign like mine, where a party of 5 often has to trifle with large groups (such as 25 zombies. That get obliterated in a couple turns when two clerics plus one paladin start turning'em but hey!)... I wasn't really asking for a custom effect, just if there was something I missed :P True, a custom effect would be useful but if I really had to ask, I'd rather have you invest your time in updating your full overlay and the rest :P

Quote Originally Posted by Asgurgolas View Post
    Well it's mostly because it's too much work for ONE feat not many people use. It's fine when it's a short battle with say, 3-4 players and a couple enemies. It turns cumbersome when you have a campaign like mine, where a party of 5 often has to trifle with large groups (such as 25 zombies. That get obliterated in a couple turns when two clerics plus one paladin start turning'em but hey!)... I wasn't really asking for a custom effect, just if there was something I missed :P True, a custom effect would be useful but if I really had to ask, I'd rather have you invest your time in updating your full overlay and the rest :P
    Yeah, no worries, I first update and then add aura stuff and so on (I am currently on updating the code, it is way less difficult than I expected, I just need to understand my code again, but the changes needed are straightforward so far)

Have you considered creating your Robilar's Gambit effect as a static effect that's always on your character, and just toggling it on or off as needed? It's what I use for Karmic Strike, ToB stances, etc.

I also freely drag effects on and off enemies in the CT when it's not my turn, so everything is set up when my turn actually comes around, and I and the DM I play with are just fine with players saying "hold up before you make those attacks, I have effects that need to apply."
    Last edited by Dark_Soul; May 1st, 2021 at 17:06.

Thread Information