FG Spreadshirt Swag

How does Fantasy Ground technically work?

Hi all o/

TL;DR
    Since FG does not store anything on the cloud and users connect to your game, is the DM computer sending all data to the players?
    Does that mean we could theoretically continue playing even though FG server might be down?
    When I toggle things to be hidden/displayed to players, is my computer sending these instructions to the players directly via peer-to-peer calls?

Full context

I've recently become acquainted with FG and to say the least, I'm in love with it. I'm going to skip how much I like the tons of features to get to the point.
    I apologize in advance if this info already lives somewhere, I've done some extensive google research, but couldn't find anything related to what I want to know.

I understand how storage and backup work, there is good info about that in the forums here. However, I'm still confused to how it works regarding getting players instances updated with actions DM takes. I'm unsure if the FG server is needed at all, or if once connected to the table, we are communicating between ourselves without the need of the server.

Totally cool if this info cannot be shared, I'm just super curious to understand a bit how this is structured.

Quote Originally Posted by figdann View Post
    Hi all o/

TL;DR
    Since FG does not store anything on the cloud and users connect to your game, is the DM computer sending all data to the players?
    Yes, the GM/DM computer is the host (or server if you want to use that term).

The Cloud option you see is just to facilitate connections between the players and GM/DM, nothing is stored there. If the facilitation service can establish a direct connection between GM/DM and players, then it will do that, if not, it will act as a relay for the information being passed between the GM/DM and the players.

Does that mean we could theoretically continue playing even though FG server might be down?
    No, the Host (GM/DM) computer must be online and accessible to the players for them to be able to play in the campaign.

When I toggle things to be hidden/displayed to players, is my computer sending these instructions to the players directly via peer-to-peer calls?
    Yes, the GM/DM computer is sending the data to the player computers. Players also send info to the GM/DM when they make actions (like rolling dice).

Full context

I've recently become acquainted with FG and to say the least, I'm in love with it. I'm going to skip how much I like the tons of features to get to the point.
    I apologize in advance if this info already lives somewhere, I've done some extensive google research, but couldn't find anything related to what I want to know.

I understand how storage and backup work, there is good info about that in the forums here. However, I'm still confused to how it works regarding getting players instances updated with actions DM takes. I'm unsure if the FG server is needed at all, or if once connected to the table, we are communicating between ourselves without the need of the server.

Totally cool if this info cannot be shared, I'm just super curious to understand a bit how this is structured.
    Last edited by Sulimo; April 21st, 2021 at 22:53.

FG uses a client server structure where everything is stored on the DM's computer. And yes should the FG servers go down you could still play though you would need to direct connect with IP numbers. The FG servers are matchmakers only. Generally speaking yes, hidden/displayed are peer to peer though once something is marked unhidden the players can often access it without you having to toggle it again.

Very cool! This is amazing, can't wait for 4.1!

There were lots of problems in classic with routers and ISPs causing random problems, the cloud connection is a way around that. It happily has other benefits like posting public games and the like.

That is a great question.

I would like to ask one, also: if it's possible, without changing technology (only adapting it perhaps) to players being able to connect via browser to the DM/server.

It would be an amazing feature - since the players won't need to download any software and just play TTRPGs in whichever device they choose. The DM of course would be the only one needing that.

(i understand that it isn't that simple, but it is a great accessibility factor)
    My Forge Stuff: (click and you'll go there )

-----------------------------
    Discord: @mtprimo • Ultimate License Holder • FGU Community Dev & Forge Crafter • Marketing & Designer • Brazilian
    Owner of Aqui Existem Dragões, a company focused on adapting TTRPG content to digital/VTT ready content.

This would require re-writing FG from the ground up.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information