5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

General warning for CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT hot keys

I have finally figured out why sometimes I get weird things happening with my players dice rolls or other things. If you put something in a CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT hot key that actually reacts to that hot key special key trigger - then the action you have being triggered will also react to that key.

For example, in pure FGU with no extensions - if you put a damage roll in a SHIFT hot key - it will ALWAYS BE CRITICAL. Because the act of triggering the damage roll with the SHIFT click on that hot key will detect the SHIFT key and apply it (Damage rolls are critical when you have SHIFT depressed).

And don't get me started on extensions that have dice rolls that can trigger behavior with a CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT - because if you put it in the matching hot key - it will be transformed by that key even when you don't "think about" what you are really telling that operation to do.

So if you have had weird things happen with die rolls or pretty much any other operation - ask your players if they have it in a CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT key and what that might do to that operation.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Wow! So what's your work around? Only put dice rolls into non shift, alt, ctrl banks? Thanks for catching this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charmov View Post
    Wow! So what's your work around? Only put dice rolls into non shift, alt, ctrl banks? Thanks for catching this.
    Dont put actions that can combine with those keys in those keyed slots.

This must depend on the ruleset, this is not a problem with Savage Worlds.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    This must depend on the ruleset, this is not a problem with Savage Worlds.
    Certain things surely depend on the ruleset In D&D-like rulesets Shift+Damage will be a crit, Shift+Attack an attack of opportunity; it is about such hotkeys (though the switch of the hotkey bar is common through all rulesets) So, it is the usual gaming advice not to use those hotkeys for push-to-talk etc. which also have a function in the game itself (FG)

How you define shortcuts in ruleset???
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    How you define shortcuts in ruleset???
    Some are hardcoded as they mentioned, some are via extensions. Gist is - if you drop a command in a hot key that requires SHIFT key to be depressed to show the hot key, that SHIFT key will show depressed in whatever command you have in the hot key also. Best not to think in terms of rulesets. Just in terms of what you are putting in hot key and if it reacts to the same key the hot key requires to be brought up - in which case - that command will always behave with that key's behavior whether you intended it to or not.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Alternatively, use mute/unmute on that hotkey instead of push-to-talk Is in my opinion more comfortable, and one does not need to keep the button pressed while one can unmute oneself in case of background noises etc.

(on the example of using hotkeys for this; I think this is most common source of that problem)

I use mute/unmute as well. If you can't put it on a mouse button, then I've found Scroll Lock is the best keyboard button for it that doesn't mess with FG.

Hot Keys are RISK!
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Thread Information