5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hi to all and just some questions

First of all excuse me for my english but I'm Italian and english is not my mother language.

Second many compliments for the program that I'm following since many years and finally I managed to buy an Ultimate Licence to try it out after lurking around to understand how to use it.

Since I understood with my FGU Ultimate Licence I can :

1) Host demo client in any number ( well depending from my sanity roll score and internet connection).
    2) It's possible (via localhost setting ) to have two instance of FG running on the same Computer ( one DM and another one PC )
    3) It's possible to have at the same time PC conected to my game via internet and via localhost ?
    4) I own a Computer and a Laptop, it could be possible to install the same licence on the two devices, using ONLY one device at a time ? ( I know that if I create content, like campaign, I have to move the files from one computer to another to continue working at it).

Sorry for the questions but I just want to be sure I'm not going against licence.

Still thank you so much for your work and kindness on the response I could get here.

Have patience with a newbie.

Hugs ( Covid free ) from Rome.

Regards

1) Yes
    2) Host with LAN, not Cloud. Then open another FGU instance and connect via IP: localhost
    3) Not that i know
    4) Sharing licenses are allowed for family members (there were some threads about it with SmiteWorks comments). Technically it should be possible.

And Welcome!

For at least #4: that's a yes. I have mine on a big desktop machine, and an iMac where's it's better for playing. As long as you copy your campaign around, you should be fine. Note that pointing Fantasy Grounds to a shared drive mechanism such as Dropbox/Onedrive is _not_ a good idea. Things may break if the files get synced at an inopportune moment. Using Dropbox only as a mechanism to get the files onto the computer, and then you copy it from Dropbox to your Fantasy Grounds data directory is fine. I use source control (such as Github) and commit my campaigns after each session. (Bonus, I get a record of exactly what changed after each session, indefinitely stored)

So for #2: Zarestia, is semi-correct. If you are hosting with the cloud option, you would open the second instance and connect by looking for your forum name (so Peregrino), whether or not you have a public or private game. If you are using the LAN option, you would connect via IP: localhost as Zarestia said.

For #2 you can create a cloud game and join it from the same computer. Just start the campaign as cloud, then when you open the second instance, Join and look for the game in the Cloud Lobby.

For #3, not sure what you are asking with this one. The localhost connection is for the GM computer to connect a second client from the same computer. You can of course Join your campaign via localhost and have players connected over the internet at the same time (if that is what you are asking).

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    1) Yes
    2) Host with LAN, not Cloud. Then open another FGU instance and connect via IP: localhost
    3) Not that i know
    4) Sharing licenses are allowed for family members (there were some threads about it with SmiteWorks comments). Technically it should be possible.

And Welcome!
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    For at least #4: that's a yes. I have mine on a big desktop machine, and an iMac where's it's better for playing. As long as you copy your campaign around, you should be fine. Note that pointing Fantasy Grounds to a shared drive mechanism such as Dropbox/Onedrive is _not_ a good idea. Things may break if the files get synced at an inopportune moment. Using Dropbox only as a mechanism to get the files onto the computer, and then you copy it from Dropbox to your Fantasy Grounds data directory is fine. I use source control (such as Github) and commit my campaigns after each session. (Bonus, I get a record of exactly what changed after each session, indefinitely stored)

Thank you so much, I was thinking of using an USB pendrive to store the data moving it from one pc to another , or just like you said moving a zip file on GoogleDrive or equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    For #2 you can create a cloud game and join it from the same computer. Just start the campaign as cloud, then when you open the second instance, Join and look for the game in the Cloud Lobby.

For #3, not sure what you are asking with this one. The localhost connection is for the GM computer to connect a second client from the same computer. You can of course Join your campaign via localhost and have players connected over the internet at the same time (if that is what you are asking).

I'm sorry my english is not the best .

Yeah , sometime , in the past, unfortunally now we are blocked at home for the covid, could happen that me and 3 friends were playing in my house , while a 4th one was connected via the internet with us ( skype and so on ).
    I would like to know if could be possible to have this setting working :

1) Laptop using FGU Ultimate licence ( that I will use as GM )
    2) One Laptop connected in LAN/Internet with a DEMO licence ( so player at my home can use it ) and maybe via a videoprojector
    3) One remote PC with DEMO licence used by the person who stay at home.

It's so nice you all are so kind , thank you again for your time.

Yes, you can do that.

One never stops to learn.
    Honestly never tried out joinig via cloud locally.

Be sure to check out the Fanatsy Grounds discord and Fantasy Grounds College if you need more help / information.

And to be the voice from the other side of the room again: As long as different computers don't modify the same files at the same time cloud sync should be fine. Onedrive is successfully and regularly used here for various campaigns for over a year, I also gave Dropbox a quick test.

When you switch computers you need to make sure, though, that the last computer did upload all files completely before you turned it off. This is not a big problem in practice, because file changes are constantly uploaded during sessions anyway, so when you close FGU most/all is already finished uploading. And no, that constant uploading does not interfere with FGU, because the files are only read by the cloud service, not written to.

When you go to the other computer, though, you first need to wait for all new file changes to download before you open FGU, else you are working with a mix of old and new files. FGU's files are rather small, except for images, so this doesn't take long.

Like every extra system in place this does introduce another point of failure, mostly due to software bugs (cloud software is rather mature) or user error (quite likely). Files being mixed is often handled by cloud service by appending the computer name to conflicting files or similar mechanics. Cloud services usually also offer a trashcan to revive old file versions and having a backup of your data folder is always a good thing anyway.

To be fair, I used to use Dropbox as well. And was always super-careful to ensure that it had settled down before launching FG (my common use-case is to power up the iMac and start using it for FG. But I would watch Dropbox to see when it had finished syncing before launching FG.). Then I'd figured the source-control answer was more interesting for me.

Thread Information