5E Character Create Playlist

Question about interaction between LoS and Lighting

Hello,

this seemed a bit weird to me, so just a quick question for clarification.
    I always thought LoS would only be for real LoS, like walls, doors, terrain, etc. But it also enables vision types and changes the visibility of light (as far as I can tell). Is this intented? If so, one would probably need to always enable both options, even if there are no LoS points on the map.

Map: Player with darkvision, torch in upper right-hand corner
    Player view, with only Lighting enabled:

Player view, with LoS and Lighting enabled:

When you click on the token, you see a combination of the token's special vision (darkvision), the map light (as shown in first picture), and the adjustment for token fog of war (i.e. the area token has already seen, which is the lighted area plus the darkvision area).

We're still trying out some concepts, but we have not found a perfect compromise between showing actual lighting next to fog of war.
    * We tried fading lights only to fog of war color/brightness, but that doesn't look right, since the lights no longer go to black.
    * We tried a clear split between "any" light vs. fog of war, but then you get "dark rings" where light fades to black, then fog of war takes over.

It's an ongoing process, but the above picture is a rough compromise and might be what we end up with.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the insight, no easy topic!

Thread Information