Starfinder Playlist

Token Lights (New dialog)

I've been playing around with the new token lights option and there's a few things which I suspect may not be working as intended - or that might be problematic. (Alternatively it's me as usual).

The first thing I naturally did was create a new light - since all the normal editing functions are available in the window. I could not, however, find a way to get my new light to apply. It didn't appear in the presets dropdown and dragging it into inventory/actions tab/combat tracker yielded no result. So, is there a way to get a user created light into the mix?

The other thing that worried me a bit is that the items on the list can be edited with no apparent way that I can see of getting back to the original version. I noted also that using the edit list button the usual delete button appeared next to each item on the list but was non-functional. I reckoned that's fine since we don't want people deleting the presets. However right clicking and selecting delete does work (although it only deletes from the list and not from the presets dropdown). So, again I'm wondering if this is intended behaviour or not.

I then edited an existing light - a candle - to make it much brighter and differently coloured. However when I then applied it via the toolbar I got the preset rather than the edited version. This did, however, work when I applied an effect to the actions tab of LIGHT: candle - so I'm thinking this is working as intended and that the presets will only get over-ridden using effects rather than applying token lights via the map tools.

Finally I couldn't get Spell - Light or Spell - Darkness to apply using the LIGHT: keyword as effects.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I've been playing around with the new token lights option and there's a few things which I suspect may not be working as intended - or that might be problematic. (Alternatively it's me as usual).

The first thing I naturally did was create a new light - since all the normal editing functions are available in the window. I could not, however, find a way to get my new light to apply. It didn't appear in the presets dropdown and dragging it into inventory/actions tab/combat tracker yielded no result. So, is there a way to get a user created light into the mix?

The other thing that worried me a bit is that the items on the list can be edited with no apparent way that I can see of getting back to the original version. I noted also that using the edit list button the usual delete button appeared next to each item on the list but was non-functional. I reckoned that's fine since we don't want people deleting the presets. However right clicking and selecting delete does work (although it only deletes from the list and not from the presets dropdown). So, again I'm wondering if this is intended behaviour or not.

I then edited an existing light - a candle - to make it much brighter and differently coloured. However when I then applied it via the toolbar I got the preset rather than the edited version. This did, however, work when I applied an effect to the actions tab of LIGHT: candle - so I'm thinking this is working as intended and that the presets will only get over-ridden using effects rather than applying token lights via the map tools.

Finally I couldn't get Spell - Light or Spell - Darkness to apply using the LIGHT: keyword as effects.
    I do not think (nor see) that it is intended that presets get populated with new defined ones (though it may be nice ); I think this is purely for the LIGHT: keyword approach So, when you define a preset test, then LIGHT: test should work

About the preset effects: As far as I see, when the effect explicitly states the range of bright/dim light etc., then it will overwrite that part of the used keyword of the preset, while all other things still carry over; I think this is useful and probably intended (for example one wants a brighter torch while everything else stays the same like colour and flickering) The preset effects of the effects' window does not only use keywords but also states the ranges of bright/dim light which may be the reason for what you see

About the spells: The keyword you need to use is not the name but the effect tag defined in their preset For the spell darkness and light it is just darkness and light, respectively

Yes, you are correct as usual Kel. I completely missed the effect tag line and once I tried that it does indeed work. I also went back and checked my test light and discovered that the hex code I had used (just randomly created) was incorrect. Once I entered a correct code it also works.

Next time I will make sure I've had some coffee before posting stuff
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hehe, coffee is always good

The image data panel presets and the token light effect campaign customizations are completely separate.

Adding in the ability to edit the presets after load time creates a lot of coding for new APIs and dynamic UI updates, as well as differentiating presets between tokens and point lights. We may look at that eventually; but it's not worth the work right now.

The token effect coding was able to be almost completely done through the ruleset plus allows more customization (i.e. lights with an extra 2.5 feet for house rules about lights from edges vs. center).

Regards,
    JPG

Chiming in to say the new Light Effects panel in Options to build custom Light Effects is Awesome! Thanks!

It's awesome how i can just add a token and then apply effects on it.
    My players (and myself when i play) often throw the torch into the ground so they can have both hands free during combat.
    I can also edit the text in the CT on the fly and it'll immediately apply on the token.

This is the best think i've seen in a while.

Can't wait to get it on the live version to show this to my players.

Screenshot_3.jpg
    Last edited by Henrique Oliveira Machado; April 15th, 2021 at 00:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Yes, you are correct as usual Kel. I completely missed the effect tag line and once I tried that it does indeed work. I also went back and checked my test light and discovered that the hex code I had used (just randomly created) was incorrect. Once I entered a correct code it also works.

Next time I will make sure I've had some coffee before posting stuff
    Coffee is always good. On the hex codes for colors, one tip I have for non artists is if you always pick your RGB colors in sets of 3's you'll get "good gradation" of hex colors. So combinations of 00, 33, 66, 99, CC, FF for you hex codes, ie 0066CC.

Thread Information