STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Combat Bugs

Combat Bugs

Played the Hope's Last Day mission tonight. Ran into a bunch of bugs during combat:

1. A player fired their weapon and missed. They then pushed the roll. The attack never showed up in the combat tracker. We could never get the push roll to work in combat.
    2. Sometimes xenomorph attacks wouldn't show up in the combat tracker.
    3. Manually changing people's initiative would result in the combat tracker moving them, but when hitting next player it would act like the initiative hadn't been changed and would select the wrong player.
    4. When I as the GM moved items from one players inventory or deleted an item from an inventory, sometimes myself and the players would receive an error in the log.

Overall a great experience, just a couple of small things.

Thanks for reporting those, we will try to replicate and fix accordingly.
    Can you tell me what kind of move you performed on the inventory object? Did you initiate the move, the player, copy or move object (there is difference when you hold shift), on portrait etc.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I believe it happened when I moved something directly from one player's sheet to another. I should have grabbed the logs. Next time we play and it happens I'll make sure to do that.

I went back into fantasy grounds today and reread the PDF instructions and I see were some of the issues came from. The big one is you have to fill in your health boxes for health to work correctly. We all assumed it would work like Stress and Radiation, where as things get worse it fills up. I don't see that explained in the PDF. At the very least, if it's supposed to be filled it would be helpful if it defaults to being filled.

Also, I see in the PDF that Monster Attacks don't trigger the combat flow. They should trigger the combat flow, because you can block them and they can deal extra damage. Pg 92 of the rule book calls out that you can block Xenomorphs. Not sure why it was decided to not have them enter the combat flow like other NPCs. Also, as of right now they deal no damage and don't trigger armor rolls.

The design of HP/Stress/Radiation can be looked at from different perspectives, though for me the approach of Health getting reduced and Stress/Radiation build up is the logical and many games take this approach as well. Positive things got reduced and negative build up. This is how it is played on the table top and we translated it to FG.

On the automation of monster attacks, we will make them "lightly" automated in future versions as the narrative nature of many attacks opens possibilities for "what happens" after creature successfully executes the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDungeonMaxter View Post
    Played the Hope's Last Day mission tonight. Ran into a bunch of bugs during combat:

1. A player fired their weapon and missed. They then pushed the roll. The attack never showed up in the combat tracker. We could never get the push roll to work in combat.
    2. Sometimes xenomorph attacks wouldn't show up in the combat tracker.
    3. Manually changing people's initiative would result in the combat tracker moving them, but when hitting next player it would act like the initiative hadn't been changed and would select the wrong player.
    4. When I as the GM moved items from one players inventory or deleted an item from an inventory, sometimes myself and the players would receive an error in the log.

Overall a great experience, just a couple of small things.
    Alright, some update on those bugs after we managed to get on track again:

1. We work on that now, it will be part of the fixes that will be delivered with Alien 2.0 in the coming weeks

2. I can't replicate this... I added all xenomorphs twice to CT and I see all their attacks. Can you show screenshot?

3. This is how CT behaves - changing the initiative of the active combatant will move it along with the selection to the new initiative and clicking "Next combatant" button will pick the right after the selection. This is how it works in Core & DND 5e based on my tests and the GM will have to move the active combatant pointer to the appropriate actor post-initiative swap.

4. We identified the root cause, but the fix it seems to be out of our control, we work with SW on this. As temporary workaround to prevent the error - make sure to cycle the item from "Equipped" to "Carried" or "Not Carried" before deleting or moving it and no error will be displayed.

I am not familiar with the Alien ruleset or game system; so I need more information on how to recreate the issue in #4. (Step by step to recreate)

Also, what version of the FGU client are you running? (as reported on the launch screen)

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information