DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Sharing images issues

Good day!

I would like to tell you what was happening to me for the last 2 days. I do not believe you can help me, but maybe, just maybe this will help someone?

During my campaign last night one of my players could not get any of the maps.

none2.png

I host a game with 5 players. 4 of them had NO issue. The one in question was on a mac and has google fiber. My internet speeds, though not the best, are good enough: 25ping / 60 down and 26 up.

1) First we had him clear Cache. – no go.
    2) Then we had him uninstall then reinstall. – no go.
    3) Then we had him install it on his wife’s PC. – no go.
    4) Then I deleted half my extensions. No go
    5) Then I deleted all my extensions. – worked!

That is how we played the rest of the evening.

But this morning I called him to see if we could figure out the culprit extension (cause localhost and other people work just fine, so it had to be him). He said sure, so here started my 4-hour testing!

I have something like 25 extensions loaded (we won’t talk about not loaded )

1) I loaded 4 of them – working
    2) I loaded 4 more – failed
    3) I did this over and over. Certain extensions did not work, some worked kind of: he would get some images:

partial.png

4) I did this for hours, and I finally got to a point that I had 10 extensions loaded with no issue, but could not add one more. Bizarre!
    5) I looked at his log files and mine, for errors or even shared image issues, not once did it give a clue.
    6) Haha! Let’s try a different campaign! - It worked with all my extensions loaded! Yay!
    7) So I recovered a backup from a point I knew it worked on his campaign. – Didn’t work. Huh?
    8) Ok. So I remoted into my office computer, where sometimes I DM from. I have a 800down/up there. I copied the data file and moved it over. Started the campaign with all my extensions, and… worked fine! What the heck??

So… I have no idea. I will DM that game from the office. I could try rebuilding the campaign and see if that would work, but man, that is a lot of work. (1.5 years on it). I have wishes for this software, but realize that they are too difficult to make happen (ie; have a host computer that the dm could log into, or it would be awesome to use multi core – sure felt it today, loading/connecting/unloading/ loading/connecting/unloading/ loading/connecting/unloading… LOL)

Anyway – that’s that

Have a good one!
    Gabe
    Attached Images Attached Images

When one person in a group has an issue with downloads then a possible culprit might be some kind of limiter on their router (parental control, flood protection - that kind of thing) or anti-virus software. So to eliminate these from the equation make sure that they have an exception for FGU in their antivirus and that they don't have an limiting factors on their router.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

That is a great idea! I will ask

Like Zacchaeus said it's likely to be something with that player's connection.

However, if your work connection with higher bandwidth works better as a host that would somewhat rule out anti-flood protection causing problems and make it more likely the player has an unreliable Internet connection for some reason. IE throttling, or wireless.

It was wireless, we are getting him wired today to see if that helps

That didn't work. We plugged him in (6ms 800down/up), and it didn't help. So now he is looking into the limiter/throttler possibility.

Update, I had him try with his phone hotspot - and no go. so it is not his internet.

Just throwing out ideas:

Does this happen when he connects to other users?
    Is it possible that something on his machine is intercepting the files being sent? (firewall, parental control, etc.)
    Or perhaps the file/folder security on the FG data folder is not correct? (Did he try installing in default location, or elsewhere?)

JPG

Those are all great questions that we have not tested. Right now, I am rebuilding the campaign (sigh) to see if that works. If not we will try those.

Just in case: if the phone hotspot was using WiFi it could still be the ISP settings (if he disabled WiFi and knew the phone was on cellular-only then much greater chance of scratching ISP filter off the list).

Thread Information