DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Create the characters on the GM table and then the players can view their character "offline" using their demo version whenever they like.
    Well I'm aware you could to that with the FGC client (did it myself a few times), but I'm using FGU and from what Zacchaeus is saying, it reads like you need to create a campaign 1st. Which again, if you can't build &/or create a campaign with the FGU demo client, how are you supposed to view a character sheet without owning at least a standard license?
    Last edited by kronovan; April 7th, 2021 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Well I'm aware you could to that with the FGC client (did it myself a few times), but I'm using FGU and from what Zacchaeus is saying, it reads like you need to create a campaign 1st. Which again, if you can't build &/or create a campaign with the FGU demo client, how are you supposed to view a character sheet without owning at least a standard license?
    I dont use Classic anymore. Zacchaeus is saying just what I am saying.

Well I'm aware you could to that with the FGC demo client (did it myself a few times), but I'm using FGU and from what Zacchaeus is stated, it reads like you need to create a campaign 1st. Which again, if you can't build &/or create a campaign with the FGU demo client, how are you supposed to view a character sheet without owning at least a standard license?
    Your original question was could the players build a campaign - which I took to mean could they actually add in maps, encounters, NPCs etc. They cannot do that. But they can create a campaign and use that campaign to view their characters. Now your other question was about rulesets and that is certainly an issue if you are using a ruleset which isn't one that comes free with the demo version of FG. Since you need to select a ruleset in order to create a campaign then you would need to be able to access that ruleset. So in your particular case your players would probably not be able to view their characters off line.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    I dont use Classic anymore. Zacchaeus is saying just what I am saying.
    OH OK. But what's the create a campaign requirement, that Zacchaeus and another forum member posted about?

One of my challenges is that unlike FGC, I've never run anything but FGU Ultimate edition. I do run additional instances of FGU on my 2 other monitors and locally join my Ultimate Server as players. Those additional client connections no doubt still use my Ultimate license though. Wish I had a 2nd PC to test this Demo client character sheet viewing with, but unfortunately I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    They cannot do that. But they can create a campaign and use that campaign to view their characters. Now your other question was about rulesets and that is certainly an issue if you are using a ruleset which isn't one that comes free with the demo version of FG. Since you need to select a ruleset in order to create a campaign then you would need to be able to access that ruleset. So in your particular case your players would probably not be able to view their characters off line.
    Ahah! OK, now I understand. And yes, in regards to MgT2e, 13th Age and Call of Cthulhu 7, that's going to be very cost prohibitive for my players. As an example; the MgT2e ruleset costs roughly $72 in my Canadian currency. It's cheaper in a sale (especiallly if bought from Steam, as they're better at costing in discounts resulting from the USMC free trade agreement), but even at that it typically discounts to a sale price of about $50 CDN. TBH I don't have any players who'd pony up that amout just to view a PC sheet.

[Edit] I'd love it if there was an offline app or web portal where a Traveller PC sheet could be viewed, but I've worked in enough software development enironments to know that isn't a simple task.
    Last edited by kronovan; April 7th, 2021 at 21:49.

OH OK. But what's the create a campaign requirement, that Zacchaeus and another forum member posted about?

One of my challenges is that unlike FGC, I've never run anything but FGU Ultimate edition. I do run additional instances of FGU on my 2 other monitors and locally join my Ultimate Server as players. Those additional client connections no doubt still use my Ultimate license though. Wish I had a 2nd PC to test this Demo client character sheet viewing with, but unfortunately I don't.
    I believe that in FGU, players can create a campaign (call it "Characters") using the demo version (you could not do this in FGC). In that "Characters" campaign, they can manage their character. When they connect to your FGU Ultimate campaign, they can bring in their character from the "Characters" campaign.

FGC has a "Manage Characters" feature that FGU lacks, but FGU does allow demo versions to create campaigns -- you just can't run games out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kairos View Post
    FGC has a "Manage Characters" feature that FGU lacks, but FGU does allow demo versions to create campaigns -- you just can't run games out of it.
    True enough, but it probably should be noted that this is the Traveller ruleset forum and therefore the OP was no doubt inquiring about Traveller PCs. As Zacchaeus pointed out, you need to own the MgT1e or MgT2e ruleset in order to create a Traveller campaign. For sure I can now see where a D&D 5e or Fate Core PC sheet could be viewed by the FGU client without incurring any additional costs. Different situation though for rulesets that are not freebies.

There is an official Wish List that the Fantasy Grounds team looks at here: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Currently at 107 and 97 votes are Mobile App Companion and Printable Character Sheets respectively. Might be worth giving a vote to get your voice heard. *edit they already started climbing up
    Last edited by GregRex; April 8th, 2021 at 21:26.

Cool, thanks for pointing that out GregRex - I voted. Printable Character Sheet would be my priority, but a mobile app would be handy too.

[Edit] I also added my own wish list item to 'Allow Tables to Add to an Existing Story or Encounter' to the list.
    Last edited by kronovan; April 8th, 2021 at 22:58.

Thread Information