DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... Last

Theogeek's Improved Critical (5E/PF)

!!! This has been moved to the forge !!!!

See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...roved-Critical for history.

8.5 - Added PFRPG2-Legacy support.

Current Version: 8.5

I am releasing this here because I significantly changed the internal workings to make it compatible with my just released Nat 20 extension (if you use that extension, you must use this version of Improved Critical). I renamed it as well to make it more standard, and am only developing in Unity (though testing has been done with FGC as well) so I thought I'd keep them separate just in case. In any case, this version *should* be functionally equivalent to version 3.x and more compatible with other extensions.

I did remove the "fix damage calculation" option because it seems to be fixed (at least in FGU). If you encounter any issues with this, let me know and I'll add it back.

====

DESCRIPTION
    Have you ever scored a critical hit only to roll 2 damage? Me too. So I made this extension because I have been disappointed as a player and have had players disappointed in critical hits that do less damage than a standard hit. This extension allows the DM to change the way critical damage is computed. More detail is found in the description of the options below, but quickly, suppose you had a half-orc with 18 strength (and no other bonuses) wielding a greatsword.

If he scores a critical hit, he would do 2d6 + 3d6 + 5 damage.

This would normally be pretty sweet, but with some crappy rolls, it could end up with this lameness: you rolling 5 1's and doing 10 damage and your measly human buddy, with no strength bonus, who barely hit, rolling 2 6s for 12 total damage. Lame, right?

This extension allows you to configure critical hits so that they are actually critical....well...mostly anyway. You can modify the calculation such that, when computing critical damage:

• applied or not to crit immune targets
    • weapon damage dice are maximized or set to a minimum or maximum of 1/2 the number of die sides
    • critical damage dice are maximized or set to a minimum or maximum of 1/2 the number of die sides or set to a scaled range (soft, med, hard)
    • effect damage dice are maximized or set to a minimum or maximum of 1/2 the number of die sides
    • special criticals (from the NAt20 extension) are maximized or set to a minimum or maximum of 1/2 the number of die sides
    • Apply to only hte first damage dice overall or the first damage dice of each group of damage dice rolled
    • total damage is doubled
    • any combination of the above

Note the output:

"IMPROVED CRITICAL MAXXED" means that the option was chosen to MAX certain dice
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL RAISED" means that the floor of the damage was raised to 1/2 the number of sides of the die rolled
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL LOWERED" means that the ceiling of the damage was lowered to 1/2 the number of sides of the die rolled
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL SOFTCRIT" means that the option to use soft criticals was in effect
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL MEDCRIT" means that the option to use medium criticals was in effect
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL HARDCRIT" means that the option to use hard criticals was in effect
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL DOUBLED" means that the option was chosen to DOUBLE damage dice
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL CRITZEROED" means that the option was chosen to set all extra critical dice to 0
    "IMPROVED CRITICAL CRITREMOVED" means that the option was chosen to REMOVE all extra critical dice

Note that no matter what option you choose for effect or critical damage dice, they will always be purple or green respectively.

I am messing with the output to see what makes the most sense from a readability perspective and to save the information I need to properly compute untargeted damage rolls that are dragged to crit immune targets. In the description in the chat window, you'll see something like this this (currently) if modifications are made to the roll by the Improved Critical settings.

For a critical hit with a dagger that does 1d4 piercing and 1d6 fire, you might see this in the chat window:

"[DAMAGE (M)] Dagger [EFFECTS 1d6] [CRITICAL] [IMPROVED CRITICAL MAXXED] [IC1: D1=4(2),M=5(5),T=9(7)] [IC2: D2=6(2),T=6(2)] [TYPE: piercing (1d4+5=9)] [TYPE: fire (1d6=6)] [TYPE: piercing,critical (2d4=5)] [TYPE: fire,critical (1d6=2)]"

The improved Critical extension inserted the following into the description:

"[IMPROVED CRITICAL MAXXED] [IC1: D1=4(2),M=5(5),T=9(7)] [IC2: D2=6(2),T=6(2)]"

The "IMPROVED CRITICAL MAXXED" tag indicates that this extension modified the damage by maxxing dice. The next entries tell how.

The "[IC1: D1=4(2),M=5(5),T=9(7)]" tag is parsed as follows:
    • "ICx" - indicates that the first damage clause in the description, the "[TYPE: piercing (1d4+5=9)]" was modified
    • "D1=4(2)" - indicates that the first dice in the roll graphic was part of this clause and it was changed from an original roll of 2 to a 4
    • "M=5(5)" - indicates that the modifier was not changed and remained a 5 (if the Double damage option is selected, this would have looked like M=10(5) for example)
    • "T=9(7)" - indicates that the total damage for that clause was increased from an original value of 7 to a new value of 9 because of the max damage option.

The second modified clause, "[IC2]", is similar but applies to the second damage clause ([TYPE: fire (1d6=6)]).

Since there is no IC3 or IC4, it means that the third and fourth damage clauses, "[TYPE: piercing,critical (2d4=5)]" and "[TYPE: fire,critical (1d6=2)]", were unmodified.

More complex damage rolls are handled the same way. Maybe a greatsword with many damage types or damage effects might have an improved critical clause like this: "[IC1: D1=6(2),D2=6(3),D7=6(1),M=5(5),T=23(11)]". Note the jump in the Dice...D1, D2, D7. This means that in the dice that were displayed in the roll, the first, second, and seventh were part of this clause. This might happen, for example, if the greatsword which does 2d6 slashing damage) had a bunch of damage effects, and the one in order that rolled the seventh damage dice was "DMG: 1d6 slashing". FGU combines like damage types into one damage clause so this would produce a damage clause like "[TYPE: slashing 3d6+5]" as the first damage clause, even though that clause was comprised of die 1,2, and 7.

Methods of computing damage ("Damage Range Method"):

Clip: setting min/max values with a method of "Clip" will cause any rolled value below the minimum to be set to the minimum and any damage roll above the maximum to be set to the maximum ("clipped" as iot were). For example, if the percentage range selected for Medium Criticals turned out to result in a damage range of 3-6 for a d8, the possible damage values would be: 3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6 (1's and 2's get "clipped" to 3, 7's and 8's get "clipped" to 6)

Scale: setting min/max values with a method of "Scale" will cause any rolled value to be mapped to an even (well, as even as possible given rounding small values like dice rolls) distribution. If, for example, the percentage range for Medium Criticals turned out to result in a damage range of 3-6 for a d8, the range of possible damage values would be: 3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6 (1's and 2's get "scaled" to 3, 3's and 4's get "scaled" to 4, 5's and 6's get "scaled" to 5, and 7's and 8's get "scaled" to 6).

Extension Options:

Damage modifications behave the same for any damage dice type (critical dice, effect dice, weapon damage dice, and Nat20 special critical dice). The options for modifying the rolled damage for each dice of a given type on a critical hit are:

[Standard] - Roll damage dice per the rules as written
    [Maximize] - Maximize the damage dice
    [Raise Floor] - use "Damage Range 1 (Floor)" to determine minimum possible damage (clips, doesn't scale)
    [Lower Ceiling] - use "Damage Range 2 (Ceiling)" to determine maximum possible damage (clips, doesn't scale)
    [Soft Criticals] - use "Damage Range 3 (Soft Critical Max)" and "Damage Range Method" to determine maximum possible damage
    [Medium Criticals] - use "Damage Range 4 and 5 (Medium Critical Min/Max)" and "Damage Range Method" to determine minimum and maximum possible damage
    [Hard Criticals] - use "Damage Range 6 (Hard Critical Min)" and "Damage Range Method" to determine minimum possible damage

Hopefully the options are self explanatory! If not, I'll update the forge page.

Have fun with it and let me know if you have any additional ideas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheoGeek; November 17th, 2023 at 20:15. Reason: Update with info from 8.4.2

Our campaign loves this extension
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Our campaign loves this extension
    My rogue loves it, everyone else hates it when the monsters Crit them (and I cackle in laughter)!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

hehe...At one time, I was thinking about adding an option to make it only apply for PCs, but then quickly changed my mind. What's good for the goose and all...

What am I missing, do I need the original ext on too? I am using only yours and none of the crits are working anymore. I am in the settings and can't find it anywhere. I feel stupid lol

Hey arcanjl! First, thanks for checking out the extension!

Second, yeah, you only need v4, you don't need the old one.

I just tried it with an empty campaign with only v4 of my extension and it was working fine, the options are there and everything. Are you using Unity or Classic? I tried both and both are working.

You can tell that the extension loaded by seeing this in the chat window when FG starts:

logo.jpg

if that's not there, then the extension isn't loaded.

You aren't forgetting to select it when you start your campaign are you? That's neeeeever happened to me. hehe

Blog Entries
    FYI, I'm using in FGU with no issues. Used to use in FGC with no issues.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I don't know why, but it is making me click it every load. it usually remembers so I jumped the gun on that - sorry guys

No worries...glad it's working!

Thank you for sharing this!!

Thread Information