DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    I just pushed a new build that returns lights to fall-off to black; while leaving the FoW at the brighter scale.

Additionally, I found an issue with the intensity option added for Darkvision; so I disabled for this build as well.

Note, that the lights were always additive; but the minimum light amount was compounding. We are talking internally about what we might do differently for light overlap; but most of the discussion will have to wait until @cpinder is back next week.

Regards,
    JPG

@SilentRuin,

There was a change in the far falloff computation; since it was incorrectly computing up until the release on 3/30. Try increasing the far falloff on all your lights to 50, instead of 25.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    @SilentRuin,

There was a change in the far falloff computation; since it was incorrectly computing up until the release on 3/30. Try increasing the far falloff on all your lights to 50, instead of 25.

Regards,
    JPG
    Should I redefine all my lights? I mean I have a brazier at 7' bright 15' dim and 25 on both falloffs. I changed it to 50 falloff but the 15' hard circle was still there. Am I required to redefine all the lights and if so how do I get the blended ending to the light source at the limits? As it used to do. And a flicker of 84.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Here is a white light on a white background with 20/40 distances and 25/50 falloff values using the current build.
    You can see the falloff heading to black at the edges.

Remember that if you have a token selected, that the token's FoW is considered, so the minimum value will be FoW for all regions within FoW for the token.

Regards,
    JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Example with token selected.

JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Example with token selected.

JPG
    Yes that hard border you see in the circles was more blended and not so noticeable in the previous releases. That was what I was trying to avoid. I had a fuzzy blended ending to the outer circles on bright/dim/falloff. Now its a hard line just as in your pictures. If that is the way it is - then there is no real workaround I assume to get the blended transitions between bright/dim/falloff.

I just wanted to provide my feedback. I really liked how it looked and functioned before the changes. My only complaint to the original system working as intended would be the fog of war of explored areas to be just a DASH lighter to allow me to get my bearings on maps easier without toggling the player view on and off. I felt like I had to squint to make out some details. I think the only way to make everyone happy is to eventually incorporate a slider but I totally agree about finding a good default setting. I do feel that it should look like you're walking around in a dungeons with a torch, and the high brightness and hard edges loses a lot of character and comes across like you're exploring with a modern LED military flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Metlore View Post
    I just wanted to provide my feedback. I really liked how it looked and functioned before the changes. My only complaint to the original system working as intended would be the fog of war of explored areas to be just a DASH lighter to allow me to get my bearings on maps easier without toggling the player view on and off. I felt like I had to squint to make out some details. I think the only way to make everyone happy is to eventually incorporate a slider but I totally agree about finding a good default setting. I do feel that it should look like you're walking around in a dungeons with a torch, and the high brightness and hard edges loses a lot of character and comes across like you're exploring with a modern LED military flashlight.
    Exactly - the feel of a dungeon - not the feel of a spotlight in a Broadway musical

I feel obligated to say I like this version better. Blending like prior is nice looking but not something in the rules, and while I'm not anti aesthetic, I don't like aesthetics overruling clarity. I would also like to point out Moon's example uses a very harsh almost white light and would look more natural in a warmer white.

I voiced my opinion, but I'm also good either way.
    Last edited by Griogre; March 31st, 2021 at 21:56.

@SilentRuin/@Metlore,

So are you saying you want it to look more like the first picture in the last set I posted, even when tokens are selected?
    In that case, you would end up with "dark rings" around lights next to token fog-of-war (due to lighter FoW). But, that is a option we're considering too.

Also, we have talked about aesthetics vs. clarity for vision/lighting a few times internally as well. While lights look aesthetically more pleasing when the falloff is spread out and the edges are blurrier; it also makes it hard to use mechanically within the game (because this is always about the game being played, not how it looks necessarily). If the GM/player can't tell exactly how far they can see, then it's not clear whether the player can "see" things within the game from a mechanical perspective.

These are all trade-offs we are making to try to find the best compromise of usability along with aesthetics.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information