FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 36 of 46 First ... 263435363738 ... Last
    I hope this question isn't too ridiculous, as I'm still learning my way around everything in Fantasy Grounds, particularly automation. I've read up on how to define effects, but I'm alittle confused as to the extent of the automation, and IF I am apply the effects correctly. As an example, attached is my wifes druid, with a simple entangle spell <AE Version>.

Firstly:
    # All in AoE: Entangle; (C); Restrained; 'Escape DC: (SDC) Str

When apply this effect to a target, am I supposed to see some automated Escape checks? Or is this text only a reminder that I need to do something. I guess I was expecting that each round, the target would automatically roll for escape.

Secondly,
    $ Entangle; (C)

Am I supposed to apply this to self via combat tracker effect targeting.? As I understood from reading about effects, that concentration checks were automated?

Lastly..
    # Entangle; (C); 'Difficult terrain; AoE: 20 square; R: 90
    IS this actually going to do anything when applied to target(s), or is it again, a simple note/reminder to the DM on the CT.

I'm very curious if when I apply these effects, I'm doing it correctly. They do get the 'restrained' condition, but I'm failing to see what the other definitions are doing.

I also saw one for thorn whip, where there is a simple IF statement vs. target size, but I didnt see it do anything other than listing that if the size <= large, they can be pulled.
    # Thorn Whip; IF: SIZE(<=large); 'Pull 10 ft; STURNRE

In conclusion, I'm very curious if I'm applying/using things correctly, as I'd love to get the most out of this data.

I thought I understood completely, but im not seeing the results I was expecting.
    Thank you very much for any help, you guys put in alot of tedious work on this.

entangle_effects.png

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    I hope this question isn't too ridiculous, as I'm still learning my way around everything in Fantasy Grounds, particularly automation. I've read up on how to define effects, but I'm alittle confused as to the extent of the automation, and IF I am apply the effects correctly. As an example, attached is my wifes druid, with a simple entangle spell <AE Version>.

Firstly:
    # All in AoE: Entangle; (C); Restrained; 'Escape DC: (SDC) Str

When apply this effect to a target, am I supposed to see some automated Escape checks? Or is this text only a reminder that I need to do something. I guess I was expecting that each round, the target would automatically roll for escape.

Secondly,
    $ Entangle; (C)

Am I supposed to apply this to self via combat tracker effect targeting.? As I understood from reading about effects, that concentration checks were automated?

Lastly..
    # Entangle; (C); 'Difficult terrain; AoE: 20 square; R: 90
    IS this actually going to do anything when applied to target(s), or is it again, a simple note/reminder to the DM on the CT.

I'm very curious if when I apply these effects, I'm doing it correctly. They do get the 'restrained' condition, but I'm failing to see what the other definitions are doing.

I also saw one for thorn whip, where there is a simple IF statement vs. target size, but I didnt see it do anything other than listing that if the size <= large, they can be pulled.
    # Thorn Whip; IF: SIZE(<=large); 'Pull 10 ft; STURNRE

In conclusion, I'm very curious if I'm applying/using things correctly, as I'd love to get the most out of this data.

I thought I understood completely, but im not seeing the results I was expecting.
    Thank you very much for any help, you guys put in alot of tedious work on this.

entangle_effects.png
    Hi Spencerg,

5eAE automates wherever possible, but within the extent of the engine and rules the FG supplies. In cases where something doesn't have an FG mechanism, it gets added as a note.

Notes in 5eAE either begin with note: or a ' (the apostrophe just denotes it as a text string), depending on where they are used.

In the case of the Entangle spell, FG doesn't support an "escape DC" mechanism. It does understand the restrained keyword.. So this effect does several things:
    1) It puts a custom effect called "Entangle" onto the target
    2) It puts the restrained keyword on the target (which is a recognized FG term and doesn't something within the game)
    3) It puts a note which tells you that you can make a Str based Escape DC if you want.. This is manual process. The player tries to escape.. The DM has them roll the STR check, and if successful, removes the effect by deleting it.

Concentration checks are automatic, if there is an effect which has the (C) on it. Although 5eAE was designed to really work with Equipped Effects, we know that not everyone has it.. So in cases where they don't, some of the effects will have to be applied manually by the DM.

In the case of the Thorn Whip, you've got a 2 part effect.. the first the part which can be automated (checking to see if the size is large), the second is a note telling you what can be done.. So it will only apply the note if the size is large, but it can't actually pull the token or move it, so it's a manual action by the DM.. Lastly, it has a Better Combat Effects tag at the end which says to remove the effect at the start of the turn. That way the note, which tells you what to do, doesn't stay on forever.. it only lasts long enough for you to take the action.

Hope that makes sense.. I know it can get a little complicated.. believe me., we'd love to be able to automate everything and we push it whenever we can.

perfect explanation- i figured all as much but really was just looking for confirmation. I played around in the sandbox with it and noted the auto concentration checks and removals as you stated..(i have better combat effects) In short, im just learning my way around the limits of what can be done. Thanks very much for helping me understand.

You guys have been awesome answering beginner questions.. so
    One more dumb question - I'm not on my computer to test this at the moment - but it just occurred to me... what happens when I setup all my players with AE versions of traits, feats, spells, ect... then unload the modules? -- would it whack their data? This is more a general question of how FGU handles this. What happens to things that have been setup on the character sheet that were built with data from an extension. IF the effects arent using any special effects (like BCE), then would it just retain the coding in their sheet, or remove it. I would expect things that have been setup and dropped in the sheet to still be there, but not work if they required extended scripts,, ect.

It will retain the coding. However any links within the codes to other AE links may not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprekorn View Post
    It will retain the coding. However any links within the codes to other AE links may not work.
    gotcha. If the code tags aren’t custom i.e. AC: 2, or others fg recognizes out of the box, everything is fine., correct?

Just an fyi- i use the full boat- better combat effects, AE and EE

Quote Originally Posted by spencerg View Post
    gotcha. If the code tags aren’t custom i.e. AC: 2, or others fg recognizes out of the box, everything is fine., correct?

Just an fyi- i use the full boat- better combat effects, AE and EE
    The effects stay, but a custom effect (like something from BCEG) would only function if the extension was loaded.. otherwise, it's just text.. What Leprekon is saying is that the stuff on your sheet has a link to the right which opens the power, and inside of that, there are often links to other things. Any modules they refer to would need to be loaded (e.g. picking your fighting styles).

Quote Originally Posted by dbachen View Post
    The effects stay, but a custom effect (like something from BCEG) would only function if the extension was loaded.. otherwise, it's just text.. What Leprekon is saying is that the stuff on your sheet has a link to the right which opens the power, and inside of that, there are often links to other things. Any modules they refer to would need to be loaded (e.g. picking your fighting styles).
    That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprekorn View Post
    That's exactly what I was trying to say.
    i understood both of you, thank you. Always good to get two explanations, learned something from both. Finally starting to really get the hang of everything, from building custom effects, to minor extension writing, to running complex combat. Took me a month and a half of just hammering at everything and exploring what the system can and can’t do. I largely have the community to thank for always being their to answer questions/provide guides.

On the topic of AE , sorry if this has been asked but are there plans to provide it here on the forge? .. makes keeping it up to date a breeze, and it’s surprising to me that other major GP offerings like EE and BCEG is up here… hell, i’d buy it again if i had too.

Also, i can totally understand why u chose to break it into separate modules, it makes sense for many cases, but id really like to see 4 or 5 of them (the core books and supplements like XGTE) provided as one module. . cut down on the number of “hey load these “, also, it clutters up abit. Is there any thoughts on offering a bundled version ie all AE mods in one?

Thank you again

Unfortunately it won't be on the forge due to DMsG and WotC reasons when it comes to certain IP as I understand it.

Thread Information