STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Out of curiosity I tried to simply replace FGU's lua5.1.dll with a compiled LuaJIT dll. This is said to work with Civilization, so it they could have been compatible with each other. Unfortunately FGU then claims to not being able to find said dll, so no dice.

No idea if some kind of version check is involved or if FGU's Lua dll is differently structured?! But it was worth a try.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; April 12th, 2021 at 13:53.

I tested campaign load times (modules + extensions) between an Intel 9900K and an AMD 5900X, they are virtually the same. Similar results for load times in WoW (many Lua addons).

Checking Lua benchmarks on the web also seems to suggest that Lua does not benefit much from CPU instructions-per-clock improvements, but only from higher clock-rates. So throwing more money and new CPUs at the problem does not help anymore. Lua 5.1 LuaJIT (just in time compiler) might be the best (if not only) way of improving Lua performance then, so I would like to know if this is a possibility that is being looked at?
    Last edited by Weissrolf; May 4th, 2021 at 00:13.

There is a fork of Lua 5.1 called Luau that might be worth looking into.
    It claims full backwards compatibility, performance gains (supposedly almost as fast as JIT), and improved features (like if-then-else expressions!)
    https://luau-lang.org/
    Last edited by bmos; February 13th, 2022 at 01:31.

@Weissrolf
    I routinely change the FGU lua.dll so I will check out these two options. I make it so I have access to _G for development.

Jason

WARNING: No one should use this!

@Weissrolf
    Attached is a LuaJIT dll that will work (it hiccups on some items it interprets but it will launch a LuaJIT).

No promises it simply is what it is, a "compatible" replacement for the standard Lua. Don't complain to SW about any errors you get. It is purely for your enjoyment/testing/????

Moderators - If you have issues with this feel free to delete the attachment and I won't reupload.

Jason
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jharp; February 13th, 2022 at 02:22.

If you are using 5E you must update the following in campaign/scripts/npc_skill.lua at line 33

local nStarts, nEnds, sLabel, sSign, sMod = string.find(aClauses[i], "([%w%s%(%)]*[%w%(%)]+)%s*([%+%-–]?)(%d*)");

The problem with LuaJIT is that it is not 100% compatible with Lua 5.1. There are immediate incompatibilities with Lua regular expression support as noted, and there may be other issues that won’t be discovered until later. Additionally, simple timing of ruleset loading and some basic actions was not significantly impacted by the replacement.

Given the immediate incompatibilities and risks of unknown issues cropping up with replacing libraries not meant to be replaced, we do not support replacement of the DLL, and ask that you do not provide any steps for modifying the executable or the libraries in this public forum.

Please take onto PM for further discussion.

Regards,
    JPG

I just want to point out that Weissrolf's post was almost a year old and I only added my Luau suggestion to this thread because this thread seemed most relevant.
    IIRC Moon Wizard actually tried LuaJIT last year but ran into script errors due to sub-optimal backwards compatibility.
    But thanks jharp for an interesting toy to play with and the SmiteWorks team in general for engaging with community concerns.
    Sometimes it's hard to tell because development timelines are long, but I can absolutely see FG and its rulesets improving constantly, usually based on specific requests and concerns the community has been asking for. The new collapsible sidebar, for instance, is really great.
    Last edited by bmos; February 13th, 2022 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    I just want to point out that Weissrolf's post was almost a year old and I only added my Luau suggestion to this thread because this thread seemed most relevant.
    Yeah, it was probably worth starting a new thread rather than post in this. Vaguely similar, maybe - but we don't have an issue with people starting new threads, in fact we prefer it to resurrecting old vaguely related threads - mush better to start a new discussion in a new thread, it allows your post to be more easily seen and discussed and found in future searches.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information