STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Well, crap

In case something happens to Discord (if MS buys them), a friend of mine told me about Guilded - you can even export a Discord Server template of your Discord server, then import it into Guilded and have your structure in place. Just something to consider.....as for me, our community really enjoys Discord and I don't see anything happening to it for a while.

I suspect that if Microsoft does purchase it, one of the changes will be that some premium services (as they exist right now) might be offered to XBL subscribers. I think it makes sense, they probably want the streaming capabilities for games, so giving premium features to XBL subscribers would give them a boost in that space, probably get it integrated into the consoles as well at some point.

The other option I can think of is to give O365 users access to some premium features as well, but that might be at cross purposes with Teams.

Either way, I hope they leave the free tier alone, if they upset that apple-cart, people will find a different platform.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Either way, I hope they leave the free tier alone, if they upset that apple-cart, people will find a different platform.
    Free requires deep pockets or some other method to raise money and Discord already ruled out Ads (AFAICR).
    I cant believe it has a $10b valuation
    For something that has negligible revenue and hamstrung by a commitment to no ads.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I cant believe it has a $10b valuation
    For something that has negligible revenue
    I think you just described most of the US financial system
    At least when you're looking at net.

Blog Entries
    It may be a value from the perspective of "one of the big tech giants is going to own it eventually, might as well be us so nobody else gets it".
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
    In case something happens to Discord (if MS buys them), a friend of mine told me about Guilded - you can even export a Discord Server template of your Discord server, then import it into Guilded and have your structure in place. Just something to consider.....as for me, our community really enjoys Discord and I don't see anything happening to it for a while.
    Guilded used to have serious issues with voice quality. It's the reason why competitive end-game raid guilds in MMO don't use it. (or at least didn't when I was running competitive end game raid guilds)

It may be reasonable for TTRPG, but I wouldn't count on it.

It's a good way to buy an entire community/customer base. They got developers with GitHub. They got a huge medical customer base with Dragon Nuance, and now they can buy a pre-packaged gaming community that is already engaged and can be plugged into their Xbox community. If they can get it to work on their own Azure platform, like they did with Minecraft, that would be a PR win too. MS isn't the MS of the 90's anymore, and it's nothing like Google, which seems to shut down a messaging app every other week. I loathe subscriptions, but aside from Spotify and Netflix, I'm pretty happy to use it every day for the gaming group I'm in. Although I hope they do better than they did with Skype.

Ill be honest i really like discord for my games. I like the voice i like the different text channels i can make specific to a campaign...like a rules channel a info channel etc. I'm in IT been supporting and working with MS products in both the home consumer and enterprise markets for almost 25 years. As long as they wouldnt charge too much...id be willing to pay for what i get now if ms gets discord and improves a few things. I wouldnt pay 50 bucks a month or anything crazy like that though...

Discord ended talks with Microsoft for them to purchase them at this time.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/discord...ft-11618938806

They want to drink up that Milkshake too and grab the userbase. They got Skype, Phasing out Skype for Business for MS Teams, in ten years Discord Enterprise ed. For their office 365 platform.

Thread Information