STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Suggestion: Simplify starship combat display

On the PC Starship Weapons tab (which contains more than weapons), there are no fewer than 28 boxes used to display the status of systems and shields/firing arcs. It works, but I think it could be simplified to just 8 boxes.

We need to track Life Support. Sensors, Power, Engines, Forward, Aft, Starboard, and Port arcs. That's eight systems, and all the information we need can go in one box for each system. For four of these items, the box can contain an abbreviation for the system. For the other four, they can contain the current shield value. The status (working, glitching, malfunctioning, and wrecked) could be indicated by color.

See attached image. I am not an artist.

For clarity, as depicted, Life Support, Sensors, and Starboard arc is glitching. Aft arc is malfunctioning. Port arc is wrecked. Everything else is working.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swbuza; March 22nd, 2021 at 17:15.

Classic & Unity Ultimate License Holder

It does look cool. I really like simplistic/minimalistic designs. I do however see an issue with this layout. You do need some sort of editing the damage state of the weapon arcs that is seperated from the shield points remaining.
    My Forge Page
    Discord: @evolivolution
    Ultimate License (FGU)
    Timezone: Z+1

Just change the color of the arcs. That's independent from the shield points number. I'm thinking click the box to rotate colors and scroll the wheel to change the shield number.
    Last edited by swbuza; March 22nd, 2021 at 22:32.

That's true, but that would be display only, how do you input damage to a weapon system assuming clicking on the shield arc is already reserved for editing the amount of shield points.
    It's okay for the other systems because you could click to cycle through the damage states but you can't layer inputs that way.
    My Forge Page
    Ultimate License (FGU)

I would imagine it being a cycler. You click on the 'button' and it would cycle the colors.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Yes. Click the button to cycle the colors, and scroll the mouse wheel to change the shield value.

Quote Originally Posted by swbuza View Post
    Yes. Click the button to cycle the colors, and scroll the mouse wheel to change the shield value.
    I don't see this beeing practical. Imaging scrolling through 100 numbers to get to where you want instead of just clicking and typing.
    My Forge Page
    Ultimate License (FGU)

Love the idea, but what about Starship Operations Manual?
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolivolution View Post
    I don't see this beeing practical. Imaging scrolling through 100 numbers to get to where you want instead of just clicking and typing.
    Fair enough. Swap the idea and make the color change by scrolling the mouse button.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Love the idea, but what about Starship Operations Manual?
    I haven't read it yet, so I'm not sure what it changes.

Thread Information