FG Spreadshirt Swag

Spell damage type not overcoming damage reduction (PF1e)

So I'm coding a macro for smite evil for a PC in my game, and everything else works as intended in the effect (it only affects the target of the smite and doubles the damage bonus if undead, dragon, or evil outsider).

However, "DMGTYPE: spell" is not making it so attacks bypass the damage reduction of the target the way they should be. I tested the effects on a skeleton, and the attack, damage, and AC bonuses work fine, but the damage reduction is still being applied to the damage.

Is there something wrong with my code? Here's what I have typed in the effect.

Effect 1 (applied to Self for all rolls): Smite Evil; IFT: CUSTOM (Smite Target); IFT: ALIGN (evil); ATK: 3; DMG: 1; AC: 3; DMGTYPE: spell; IFT: TYPE (undead,dragon,evil); DMG: 1

Effect 2 (applied to target of smite to satisfy the custom condition): Smite Target

Unfortunately DMGTYPE doesn't work if put after IFT or if the effect is targeted.
    It sure would be nice if it did...

Also you should change the TYPE line to: IFT: TYPE (undead,dragon,outsider)
    Last edited by bmos; March 21st, 2021 at 16:17.

Aww... that's a shame, considering the DR bypass only functions on attacks made against the target of the smite. I'll try moving it behind the IFTs. I also changed the effect so the ATK and AC use [CHA] and AC uses [CL], so it can be based off paladin level and doesn't need recalculating all the time.

And I would change the TYPE line, but the extra damage only applies to outsiders of the (evil) subtype, so it doesn't apply towards outsiders who are evil-aligned who don't have the evil subtype, so using the evil subtype tag makes more sense than outsider, since that subtype is basically only used for outsiders anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan the Azure Abjurer View Post
    the extra damage only applies to outsiders of the (evil) subtype, so it doesn't apply towards outsiders who are evil-aligned who don't have the evil subtype, so using the evil subtype tag makes more sense than outsider, since that subtype is basically only used for outsiders anyway.
    Wow, good catch!

Blog Entries
    MOD: moved to PF1E sub-forum. Please ask ruleset specific questions in the ruleset specific forum

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information