FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

assigning proper copyright notices

I'm nearing completion of my ruleset for the Spirit of the Century rpg. In creating the ruleset I started with the d20 example ruleset and extensively modified it. As the ruleset is no longer d20, I no longer need to include the open game license from that ruleset. I'll be replacing it instead with the open game license for Spirit of the Century. My question is in regards to properly providing the copyright notice for SmiteWorks.

I'm using virtually all of the graphics contained within the example ruleset, and while I'm also using most of the xml and lua files, many of those files have been extensively modified. Would a simple "Portions Copyright 2007 SmiteWorks Ltd." be sufficient, or will I need to detail exactly which portions belong to them?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleC
    Would a simple "Portions Copyright 2007 SmiteWorks Ltd." be sufficient, or will I need to detail exactly which portions belong to them?
    What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

If you would like permission to use another entity's graphics/text, you need just that...permission. Simply attributing the work to another correctly doesn't get you where you need to go, as the right to use has still not been proven to have been granted. Unauthorized copying/use of copyrighted material is a copyright violation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Velvet Souljah
    What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

If you would like permission to use another entity's graphics/text, you need just that...permission. Simply attributing the work to another correctly doesn't get you where you need to go, as the right to use has still not been proven to have been granted. Unauthorized copying/use of copyrighted material is a copyright violation.
    Yes, I understand copyright law. But your response does raise an issue which I had, until now, taken for granted: what rights do users have in regards to the images and files in the d20 example ruleset?

The assumption I have been working under is that Fantasy Grounds users are allowed to incorporate any graphics, xml files, and lua files included in the d20 example ruleset into their own custom rulesets for the express use in Fantasy Grounds II. Otherwise, wouldn't it be illegal to distribute *any* tweak to the "default" d20 ruleset unless it was accompanied by a complete graphical overhaul along with a completely rewritten interface?

What rights do we have, if any, to the incorporation of existing graphics, interface, and scripts into our own custom rulesets?

The assumption I have been working under is that Fantasy Grounds users are allowed to incorporate any graphics, xml files, and lua files included in the d20 example ruleset into their own custom rulesets for the express use in Fantasy Grounds II.
    I think your assumption is probably correct, but I would look first to the license agreement to see if any terms and conditions spell out the use of FG content (e.g. graphics). If its not there (and I totally won't be surprised if its not), I would PM the mods to get clarification.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be illegal to distribute *any* tweak to the "default" d20 ruleset unless it was accompanied by a complete graphical overhaul along with a completely rewritten interface?
    Technically, yes.

I sent Ged a PM earlier this week and am awaiting his reply. If I am reading it correctly, the Ruleset license information sets the configuration and definition files and script programs (i.e. xml and lua files) as Open Game Content, but lists the presentation artwork as Product Identity. I have a bad feeling that the "presentation artwork" includes all the graphics for the interface, but am waiting to hear back from Ged before fully accepting that conclusion. I'll post his response as soon as I receive it.

I think you are probably right KyleC, which should mean you can use the xml/lua stuff and your own material derived from it, but will need a properly-worded Open Gaming Content acknowledgement. You may have to recreate the artwork though.

Two thoughts:

1. How is the Open Gaming Content stuff 'properly worded'? It would be good to see some template words the community could use and that SmiteWorks were happy with.

2. Is it worth setting up a mini-project, as a collaboration exercise, to recreate the artwork and publish it as freeware? That way we could all use a common set of graphics (compatible with the OGC xml/lua) and only have the (shared) hassle of creating once?

Cheers

Stuart
    (Foen)

Quote Originally Posted by Foen
    2. Is it worth setting up a mini-project, as a collaboration exercise, to recreate the artwork and publish it as freeware? That way we could all use a common set of graphics (compatible with the OGC xml/lua) and only have the (shared) hassle of creating once?
    This'd be a great help to those of us who are pathetic with artwork. I've been modifying the provided d20 ruleset for my own rulesets. I'm not planning on selling these, just making them available to the community. I'd imagine it'd be more of an issue for the commercial rulesets.

The modules are another matter, these would contain rules and would need to be distributed under the license of the publisher, or at the minimum their permission. Thankfully, this is XML and the only artwork is the thumbnail.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Was there ever a definitive answer to the questions posed here? I've searched the forums but not found anything other than Dupre's post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=3464, where I understand him to be stating that as long as we have permission or rights to distribute the copyright material for the game system we are using we are free to distribute the Fantasy Grounds material - which I would take to include the standard graphics provided with the d20 ruleset (barring any that are specifically d20).

My GURPS 4e ruleset is ready for a distribution to interested testers, but I don't want to make it available without being confident of the licence implications. It contains no automation of the rules and is well within the boundaries set by the Steve Jackson Games online policy, but it is based on the FG2 d20 ruleset (with all d20 material removed) and uses the graphics icons and frames distributed with FG2.

The ruleset will be distributed free of charge.

a) Is this something that SmiteWorks allows and encourages?
    b) Do I need to change all the graphics?
    c) What copyright notice should be included with regard to the SmiteWorks content?

I (and I hope a significant subset of the GURPS community) await the answer with crossed fingers and bated breath.

Spyke

SmiteWorks' graphics are their copyright and cannot be distributed without their permission.

You'll have to ask their permission to use the graphics (try talking to Ville, they are reasonable folks), and if they give consent you will then need to include a copyright notice along the lines of "The artwork derived from the 'd20' ruleset is copyright of SmiteWorks and is used with permission."

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I'll drop Ville a note.

Thread Information