STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Moving character to new PC

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the subject, but I have a player who created a character on one pc but wants to play on another (laptop). He mentioned he was unable to import a character as well. This is the first time using fantasy grounds for our group, so we're still learning, but is it possible to move from computer to computer while using FGU?

Yes, it's possible, in the character selection window there are some buttons in bottom right corner, one of those buttons is the export button, which will save the charsheet as an XML file - which you can send anywhere. Then you import this XML with the same buttons on other PC, and the character will be there.

That's what I thought.

Could you send me a basic 5e character that I can test the import feature with? I only have one computer, so I can't test it.

Try this one, it's my old Swordsinger for some oneshot I made. I had to do exactly that - export it and send to DM.
    Attached Files Attached Files

sweet thanks!

Blog Entries
    Note that the player does not need to move the character to their new PC/computer. The character is hosted/stored on the GM's computer. The next time the player logs into the campaign, from any computer, if they used the same username, FG will simple download the character, along with anything else shared with that player.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Sometimes if it doesn't recognize the player account, they don't see the character as it is "owned" by the "player" that is associated with their old computer. In this case you can just right click on the character in the menu and "clear ownership" and they should be able to reclaim control of the character.

Thanks for all of the help, we figured it out.

How about the GM getting a new computer. How to transfer everything over including the adventure.

The GM copies the entire campaign from the old machine to the new machine. Same with modules and extensions. Stuff bought from the Smiteworks store would just download with the rest of the updates.

Thread Information