DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

GURPS Automation

Hello All,

There are three possibilities that I can see:

1. I write code to fully automate all aspects of GURPS into Fantasy Grounds, put it into a module, and share it with the world. This increases the GURPS player base tenfold, makes it the number one game on Fantasy Grounds, and earns me the Nobel Gaming Prize presented by Ronnke.
    2. I write the code, share it only with players who play my games through Fantasy Grounds module sharing, and I get a sigh of relief and a pat on the back from my players.
    3. I write the code that I need as the GM, share it with nobody, and feel good that I've made my life easier.

As I understand it, number one is right out. If I had to bet, I'd have to go with number two not being allowed either, but I'm not certain. I can't see any problem with number three, but I'm asking just to be sure.

Anyway automation plus GURPS that interests me a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by X the Unknown View Post
    Hello All,

There are three possibilities that I can see:

1. I write code to fully automate all aspects of GURPS into Fantasy Grounds, put it into a module, and share it with the world. This increases the GURPS player base tenfold, makes it the number one game on Fantasy Grounds, and earns me the Nobel Gaming Prize presented by Ronnke.
    2. I write the code, share it only with players who play my games through Fantasy Grounds module sharing, and I get a sigh of relief and a pat on the back from my players.
    3. I write the code that I need as the GM, share it with nobody, and feel good that I've made my life easier.

As I understand it, number one is right out. If I had to bet, I'd have to go with number two not being allowed either, but I'm not certain. I can't see any problem with number three, but I'm asking just to be sure.
    What sort of things would you like to automate? That's probably the best place to start. SJG has some rules regarding automation, but I could take those things to SJG for approval.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    What sort of things would you like to automate? That's probably the best place to start. SJG has some rules regarding automation, but I could take those things to SJG for approval.
    Wow! I was just taking my first step into this and didn't think I'd get this far so fast. I don't really have a lot of specifics yet. I can come up with two that I can think of right now.

First, I've read through the forum, thought about it, and agree that implementing DR automation in GURPS across the board is too difficult to be practical. What would be nice when applying damage to NPCs with all-around DR is if instead of:
    • Adding a modifier for DR to the Modifier Stack, having the PC roll the damage and then dragging the damage result from the Chat window and dropping it into the Injury box in the Combat Tracker
    • You could drag the straight damage roll from the Chat window onto DR so that it would subtract the DR amount from the damage and then add the remaining to the Injury box.
    This would still allow to apply modifiers for DR for special circumstances like the initial option.

Second, it would be nice if you could drag the range penalty (either from the map directly or from a new field in the Combat Tracker targeting info) onto the Modifier Stack.

What do you think? Possible? I'll start thinking of more.
    Last edited by X the Unknown; March 16th, 2021 at 19:01.

I'm running a GURPS in space game. Something I've found that would be nice is if there was an addition to the radial chat box menu that performed multiplicative functions to adjust damage rolls for wound modifiers. I have the players add the DR of the target as a negative modifier to their damage roll. Then I could just right click, hit the correct multiplier, then drag the result to my combat tracker. It's a small thing, but would be nice.

SJG has given me permission to develop a few automation features, key amongst those is the automatic application of damage. This is something I've been working on for a little while and the first iteration of that feature should be available soon. @Mansquatch62, this will address wound modifiers. The other automation feature I'm working on will allow Effects to automatically apply Modifiers to an N/PC. For example, if the Stunned effect is dropped on an N/PC, then a -4 will automatically apply to Dodge rolls.

If there some other automation features people are keen to develop, then I'm happy to push them up to SJG for approval. They have been very accommodating and in recents discussions with them, they are grateful to the community and what we've done for GURPS on Fantasy Grounds.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    SJG has given me permission to develop a few automation features, key amongst those is the automatic application of damage. This is something I've been working on for a little while and the first iteration of that feature should be available soon. @Mansquatch62, this will address wound modifiers. The other automation feature I'm working on will allow Effects to automatically apply Modifiers to an N/PC. For example, if the Stunned effect is dropped on an N/PC, then a -4 will automatically apply to Dodge rolls.

If there some other automation features people are keen to develop, then I'm happy to push them up to SJG for approval. They have been very accommodating and in recents discussions with them, they are grateful to the community and what we've done for GURPS on Fantasy Grounds.
    Thank you SJG for allowing this and Ronnke for doing this work. I (and I'm sure everyone else) really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to the Effects automation and to see what else you've got. I'll start thinking of other automation and add it to this thread when I do.
    Last edited by X the Unknown; March 17th, 2021 at 02:31.

It would be nice if hit locations could be taken into account when damage is applied and a "crippled" status applied.

I'm not sure if this counts as automation, but it is something that used to exist that is lacking now.

We need a hotkey or something to be able to apply an effect to the target of the current actor in the combat tracker. You used to be able to just hit "Alt + EffectName" and it would be applied to the target. This would help me (and others hopefully) out immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    I'm not sure if this counts as automation, but it is something that used to exist that is lacking now.

We need a hotkey or something to be able to apply an effect to the target of the current actor in the combat tracker. You used to be able to just hit "Alt + EffectName" and it would be applied to the target. This would help me (and others hopefully) out immensely.
    That would be nice.

Thread Information