DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Characters lost!

Hi everyone,

unfortunately tonight when I opened my FG campaign i've discovered that all players characters are disappeared.
    I have already tried to load another db.xml but it keeps throwing an error talking about some kind of hexadecimal 0x00.
    In attachment there is the dead db.

Thank you in advance for every bit of help

Marco
    Attached Files Attached Files

There is nothing in that file.

Can you post a screenshot of the contents of your campaign folder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi Zacchaeus,

this is the message I'm receiving when I try to load an older version of the DB.

errorMessage.jpg

In attachment another version of the DB. When I try to load it the error shows up.

Thank you in advance,

Marco
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, that session file is corrupted in some way. I asked for a screenshot of the contents of the campaign folder but try the foollowing

1) Make a copy of the campaign folder and put it somewhere safe.
    2) In the original folder rename the db.xml file to dbold.xml
    3) Find an earlier session file (the later the date modified and the bigger it is the better) and make a copy of it then rename the copy to db.xml
    4) Start up the campaign and see if that fixes the issue
    5) If that doesn't work start a new campaign without any extensions including themes and open it. Once it is opened close it down again
    5) Copy the db.xml file that you created above into the new campaign folder (it will overwrite the original) and start the campaign
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

This is a screenshot of the folder's campaign as you requested, hope it helps.

campaignFolder.jpg

I'm trying to do what you told me anyway.

Marco

Blog Entries
    Can you check your Settings to see if you are in TEST or LIVE?

Yes, try the one dated 20th February since we know the last one is corrupt.

Ok it is fixed. Unfortunately we lost something but it's ok.
    Thank you everyone!
    Can I know what can have done this damage so I can avoid in future...

Marco

Make sure that you are not using any active file synching software on the FG data folder. (such as Microsoft OneDrive or DropBox). We've heard reports that active synching software can sometimes corrupt files, since the active synching can potentially occur while FG is saving.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Mouza88 View Post
    Ok it is fixed. Unfortunately we lost something but it's ok.
    Thank you everyone!
    Can I know what can have done this damage so I can avoid in future...

Marco
    If you happen to know how GIT works, or would be willing to learn you can use it to keep a history of your campaign.
    I have found this has helped me in quite a few scenarios like this.

all done just with the commands

git init this starts the repository

git add .
    git commit -m "My message here" do these two after every session, or when you want a checkpoint

git log tells you your history, each yellow line is a checkpoint I could go back to
    Git History for campaign folder.png

Thread Information