DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 25 First 123412 ... Last
    Lighting data for The Forge of Fury portion of TYP.
    These dungeon crawls that are dark except where specified don't take too long.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --
    I'm so bassic

I'm working on Curse of Strahd. So far I am setting up masking for ambient light on every map, and placing lights where descriptions explicitly call for it (and no where else). There have been a few cases where I as DM probably would have added more lights, but I figure I won't take any artistic license here, unless told otherwise. I have diverged from the specific light type a few times to accommodate the descriptions. For example, places where the description says a lantern is on the table but that the walls are shadowed; If a lantern fully lights the room I might use a torch instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    I'm working on Curse of Strahd. So far I am setting up masking for ambient light on every map, and placing lights where descriptions explicitly call for it (and no where else). There have been a few cases where I as DM probably would have added more lights, but I figure I won't take any artistic license here, unless told otherwise. I have diverged from the specific light type a few times to accommodate the descriptions. For example, places where the description says a lantern is on the table but that the walls are shadowed; If a lantern fully lights the room I might use a torch instead.
    In the mummy's mask there is a map with torch sconces in the artwork but it only mentions them in the text for three of the rooms, since they were all empty I saw no harm in following the artwork by adding unlit torches to those points on the map as well. That was my only deviation from the exact text in that module.

Are there any guidelines on how official content should be lit? Is it basically the community member's discretion?
    There isn't. And I'm not sure that there could be. As said elsewhere much will depend on the description in the text for whatever map you are working on. I've also changed light colours - for example the preset for torch (IMHO) should be yellow so I make all the torches that colour. This one isn't in my view an exact science and even where we do add lighting there will be many DMs who will change it out to their preference so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    Players map lighting for The Sunless Citadel portion of TYP.
    Great stuff. I think maybe there should be some light in rooms 16A, 16B and 16C (fortress level) from the small fires in those rooms. In the grove level the light could be a bit bigger and more intense in Room 50 and move it outside the occluder so that it casts a shadow behind the statue as in the room description?

I really like what you've done across these two maps. I notice you've done another TYP one below - are you going to do them all? If so I might just hold off and just update the module once with all of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Horus1216 View Post
    Here are the first set of book 1's maps
    Hi Horus and great stuff on helping out. Can I ask you not to rename the .xml files since they need to be the same name as the maps and whilst I can rename them that offers the possibility of me getting it wrong. In cases like this where there are multiple maps you can put them in a folder and zip up that folder then just attach the zip file to your post.

In the two House of Pentheru maps I think we might want a little more atmosphere I think is the best word. You've added ambient light to both maps but then haven't added a mask to mask out the parts of the house which wouldn't have ambient light (Basically everything that isn't 'outside'). The inside of the house is lit via light coming in through the windows according to the description. So in the image below I've masked the inside rooms and chosen the lantern preset but turned the alpha down to get a greyish light and then scattered those lights around the house. I've placed them close to the walls to simulate light coming in from windows and also around the central courtyard to simulate light coming from there. I think this creates more of a shadowy and less flat image. I also turned up the shadow length of the ambient light and made them a bit darker in colour and turned down the alpha a bit. Have a little play around with these ideas to see if you can add a bit more to those two maps.

I like what you've done with the other maps; great work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, I agree. Be informed by the description but don't necessarily get into too much detail. In CoS I would probably almost always use the moonlight ambient light (maybe adjusted slightly between maps so they don't all look the same) even if it's supposed to be day. I think that might add a more relevant atmosphere to the whole gothic creepy feel.

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    Lighting data for The Forge of Fury portion of TYP.
    These dungeon crawls that are dark except where specified don't take too long.
    Perfect, thanks wndrngdru. I'll hold onto this one for now as noted in my other reply.

Here are the definitions for Curse of Strahd. As I mentioned before I didn't take too many liberties with it, mostly used default lighting types, except to use a more orange type of light for hearths.

Edit: I also didn't do the Castle Ravenloft maps, as they are isometric and not really useable as battlemaps any way.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Neovirtus; March 14th, 2021 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Great stuff. I think maybe there should be some light in rooms 16A, 16B and 16C (fortress level) from the small fires in those rooms.
    I do have one in each of the fire pits, but the text says smoldering coals so they're pretty dim and red. Any tokens in close proximity should show up as they would in dim light. I can certainly bring the level up though.

In the grove level the light could be a bit bigger and more intense in Room 50 and move it outside the occluder so that it casts a shadow behind the statue as in the room description?
    I kind of struggled with this one. The text says the glow in emanating from inside the eye sockets. Right now, the occluder is just a circle around the base, so if I move it outside the occluder, it's obviously in front of the statue and not coming from it. If you're okay with me messing with the occluder a bit, I think I can make it more aesthetically accurate to the text.

I really like what you've done across these two maps. I notice you've done another TYP one below - are you going to do them all? If so I might just hold off and just update the module once with all of them.
    Sure, I'll just keep going with them. Do you want me to continue putting them up one module at a time for feedback?
    --
    I'm so bassic

Thread Information