STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernoldo View Post
    6 different webcams running at the same time is a mess.

Changing lifelong friends who are just human and can take advantage of a really tight situation to new players who are 100% trustworthy doesn´t sound like a good idea either...

The ”rolling” would be a problem, but it is alot harder than just lying about the number thrown.
    Webcam wise I would just hotkey switch camera feeds so you don't have to worry about extra webcams. But it is up to you.

I am not sure it is "much" harder though, you just kinda put a dice down with a face pointing up.

My point is, if you are really worried about cheating then there are two main solutions atm (filming the rolls and using the digital roll bot).
    The pixel dice seem better as a "like to roll dice and don't feel like manually entering in results" tool rather than an anti cheat aid. Any perceived security from cheating it grants will be purely placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    Webcam wise I would just hotkey switch camera feeds so you don't have to worry about extra webcams. But it is up to you.

I am not sure it is "much" harder though, you just kinda put a dice down with a face pointing up.

My point is, if you are really worried about cheating then there are two main solutions atm (filming the rolls and using the digital roll bot).
    The pixel dice seem better as a "like to roll dice and don't feel like manually entering in results" tool rather than an anti cheat aid. Any perceived security from cheating it grants will be purely placebo.
    I didn't say that I'm really worried about cheating, but I'm a realist and I've been playing tabletop games long enough that I know it will play a part if players can just say how much they rolled.

What our whole group has been missing in this digital age is the feel, sound and emotions that rolling a real set of dice gives.

So far, I have not seen an official answer on whether or not these will actually be supported. From the Kickstarter, it seems that Foundry and Roll 20 are actively pursuing it, where they say they are "in talks" with Fantasy Grounds. Any chance we could get an official "yea" or "nay?"

TBH, considering that we're only now getting dynamic lighting, support of super-expensive novelty dice probably should be on backburner while more important things are caching up. Like ambient music for example.

The pixel (which is short for picture element and has nothing to do with dice really) dice software is open source and available on GitHub - if there is a demand or someone really wants it, an extension can no doubt be knocked out soon enough. https://github.com/jeansimonet/Pixels

Also, the Kickstarter is not finished, and when it is, its probably going to be a year before anyone gets their dice.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; March 22nd, 2021 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    (even though the dicebot is never going to wear out on the sides and start leaning towards certain numbers after prolonged use).
    Unless it does, which had repeatedly been praised as "good simulation of real dice flaws" on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Unless it does, which had repeatedly been praised as "good simulation of real dice flaws" on these forums.
    That is just you being you Weissrolf, you can't help yourself.

I'm already seeing ads from multiple vendors for these exact dice at half the price. It's going to be a kludge.

I would love it if these worked in Fantasy Grounds. Just the fact that these dice can read the rolls aloud would be great for players who's eyesight isn't what it once was. The flashy lights and sounds would just be cool bling extra.

An independent review of the (pre-alpha) dice if anyone is interested.

Thread Information