STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Wouldn't this essentially need to have manual dicerolls turned on anyway? Otherwise when the die sends the result to FG, how would FG know what to do with that die roll?

The idea of these type of bluetooth dice is that they broadcast the roll result and software like FG picks up the broadcast and uses that result just like the it does the built in dice - so you wouldn't have to do anything manually but, roll your cool dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    ...so you wouldn't have to do anything manually but, roll your cool dice outside FG.
    As mentioned by Imagix - how would FG know what a d20 roll was for - an attack? Saving throw? Skill check? Initiative roll? (For d20 based type games). So, you'll still have to basically do what the manual dice functionality does now (or something very similar) - when an FG action that requires a roll is initiated FG would show a window that details what's being rolled and for why. Then the player makes the rolls and the appropriate dice results are filled in automatically, when all dice are filled in the action continues.

Still kinda cool though...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You would tell what the die roll was for mostly by context, but this is something that won't happen until you have tablet or phone support.

You would probably have to click on the field / icon in FG as if you were going to roll a die but instead of FG rolling the die it would wait for input from the bluetooth die and use that.

Yea, that would be a problem to tackle. In a game there are situations in which the players are fine with the dicebot and then the really tight spots would be rolled with the dice and added through the manual rolls... Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    You would probably have to click on the field / icon in FG as if you were going to roll a die but instead of FG rolling the die it would wait for input from the bluetooth die and use that.
    That's exactly what I said, in the context of the manual dice functionality in FG now. The pixel dice would automate the step of the player entering the result from the dice they rolled. Like the manual roller does now - FG would indicate what dice the player needs to roll and then will wait for the results of the needed dice to be received - when all dice are received the process will continue.

I'm trying to get across the idea that dice like this won't suddenly take away some process in FG - call it manual, call it clicking on a field/icon, call it whatever - FG needs to know what roll it needs to process, it needs to tell the player what dice to roll, and then it needs to wait for the results of those dice (or a cancellation of that process).
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 10th, 2021 at 20:08.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

We are on the same page, sorry if I wasn't clear. It would probably save a few clicks / input from manual roll inputs so it would be faster than manual input but still slower than using the built in dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernoldo View Post
    I could enable manual rolls, which would at the same time enable manual cheating
    Cheaper solution, get a $20-$30 webcam, dicetray and point the webcam at the dicetray.

Or have trustworthy players. It isn't like someone couldn't just "roll" a bluetooth die with their fingers until it hit the number they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    Cheaper solution, get a $20-$30 webcam, dicetray and point the webcam at the dicetray.

Or have trustworthy players. It isn't like someone couldn't just "roll" a bluetooth die with their fingers until it hit the number they wanted.
    6 different webcams running at the same time is a mess.

Changing lifelong friends who are just human and can take advantage of a really tight situation to new players who are 100% trustworthy doesn´t sound like a good idea either...

The ”rolling” would be a problem, but it is alot harder than just lying about the number thrown.

It's cool, but I would rather have FG dice skins like they have on DnDBeyond. That would be cool.

Thread Information