STAR TREK 2d20

Can I not use my account remotely?

I attempted to use my laptop to run Fantasy Ground Unity in lieu of my home PC and I wasn't able to access my standard licensed account or any of my campaigns. Is there a way to use my account and have access to my campaigns remotely? I just get a license error claiming my key is not active. I'm using the Steam version and I can login via steam remotely to my home PC but I don't think the connection speed is good enough.

I'll be away from my home PC for an upcoming session and would like to be able run the campaign on my laptop while we're away.

The key should work, but your campaign lives on the GM's machine. You would need to copy your campaign to your laptop, and host the game from your laptop.

Edit: Some people have had success running FG from an AWS instance and using some sort of remote desktop as the GM to control it. Search around the forums for the instructions for this, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Imagix; March 8th, 2021 at 16:30. Reason: Additional suggesting

Blog Entries
    Launching from Steam does not copy over and your license key or campaigns. After you start FG on your laptop, you need to go into settings and enter your license key and username and password, then run an update.

As mentioned, your campaigns, extensions and custom modules are all stored on your first computer and you will need to copy them over. Open the FG Data folder by clicking on the folder icon on the FG launch screen. You can transfer your data using a cloud solution (or USB drive etc), but do not put run FG with your FG data folder on an actively sync'd location like a cloud drive. There have been numerous reports of such causing corrupted data files despite some user's insistence that such should not happen (it still does).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks... for some reason entering my license key manually wasn't working on the second machine. I was able to copy/paste from Steam finally and it accepted it. I assume now if I host the campaign on the laptop I'll have to re-import the campaign files back to the PC in order to update character sheets etc..?

Correct. Which is why LordEntrails was making sure to point out that you should _not_ just put your campaign (or whole data) directory onto something like Dropbox. While it seems the easiest way to keep the two (desktop and laptop) in sync... the file access mechanisms don't deal well with that. I put my campaigns into source control (github). Reasonably easy to shuttle the data between the two machines, and as a bonus I get a backup of the campaign after every session (and could revert to any one, as I see fit).

I typically use an enterprise version of OneDrive to transfer files around, but I wouldn't attempt to run a campaign from it. More likely I would copy the campaign files to OneDrive then copy them again into the campaign folder on the alternate machine.

Would that solve the issue?

Sure, that would be fine. This issue can pop up if FG is accessing the files at the same time as OneDrive. Since they'd be two separate directories, there shouldn't be an issue.

Awesome... I do like the idea of using version control though. I'll look into it... thanks for the help.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    I put my campaigns into source control (github). Reasonably easy to shuttle the data between the two machines, and as a bonus I get a backup of the campaign after every session (and could revert to any one, as I see fit).
    That's brilliant! I've been manually zipping and copying to onedrive. I use git on a daily basis but failed to think of this. Thanks!

I put the following into my .gitignore:
    chatlog.html
    windowstate.xml
    usersettings
    db.session.*.xml
    db.backup.*.xml

Note that the two machines have different resolutions, so I want the window states reset (or at least stored separately) for the two machines. I also don't store the chatlog (most of the "chat" happens over voice). I don't source control the backups simply because source control also gives me backups. Pick and choose your files as necessary.

Thread Information