DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: encounter maps

I use both styles of maps. I dig the Alien RPG maps, and my players have no issues with them. I'll occasionally use regular battlemaps just for some scenery, but even then, I'll stick with the games zone system instead of relying on map grid sizes.

Besides the stuff offered in the store, there are tons of free sci fi tiles out there for building your own maps, as well as some cheap scifi tile packs on DriveThruRPG. Lots of stuff on Reddit and Pinterest. Harness your Google Fu!

Almost forgot...

You might wanna try https://newtbb.netlify.app/. It's a very simple to use app for drawing maps in the Alien style, and it does have grids on the map.

That app is an excellent resource! Thanks!

I prefer to keep to a certain look for each setting. For Alien, I love what Free League have done with their maps. For Conan, the tiles produced by Modiphius are generally top notch. Cyberpunk-style games work best for me with clean or highly stylized maps. For example, there's a Shadowrun map pack out there that's clean blue and brown lines that I've used for real cyberpunk games (no dipping nasty fantasy in with my SF, thanks). I also have a cyberpunk map book that's big on neon coloring and such. Both feel appropriate. D&D and other more generic fantasy games can switch back and forth among a variety of battle maps and maps. It doesn't really matter much, because you just need something for the tactical combat element. Check out the tool posted later in the thread. That's cool.

I try to keep the style the same for Alien, but every now and then I like to use a battlemap, or even scenery handouts, just to break away from the monotones. I did create a template in photoshop that recreates the border used on the Alien maps. Add in a little noise and a simple overlay pattern to mimic the old computer screen appearance, and it helps make it feel grounded in the Alien universe. With 2e, I'd just grab anything I saw on the internet that could be worked into the scenario. It required so much more prep than Alien that I couldn't waste too much time on maps.

That app is great for spaceship blueprints. Enable symmetry and go to town.

Don't know if it will be of any use to you folk but, I use Dungeon Painter Studio and download the Aliens Art Pack for it. You can keep the 'look' of the FL maps but you can open them up for use with 5' (or 1.5 meter) squares for use as battlemaps w/tokens.

They have a free upgrade to version 2.0 that adds automatic LOS barriers and what not as well as lighting ques for converting directly to FGU...but it was a little buggy so I stuck with the original 1.0 version. I've used it to map out the entirety of Hadley's Hope though I called it something else for use in my story

Do you have a sample image from a small section of your maps? I'd like to take a peek. Couldn't find any images on their site or the Steam store.

Also for maps sometimes you can find help on the official discord of Alien RpPG.
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

I put grid on maps mainly to secure size and position of tokens. However, sometimes it can be tricky to set zones properly, so players won't be confused.
    CEST / GMT+2
    Ultimate licence – Czech & English speaking (DMing only in Czech)
    D&D 5E / MGT2e / CoC7E / PF2 & willing to try new systems

Quote Originally Posted by *Neuro* View Post
    Would be nice to have an map art pack dedicated to alien only (not generic SCI FI)
    This free content Add-On for MapForge should be useful. But this high-res paid content Add-On really can't be beat, if an authentic "Aliens look" is what you're after.
    MapForge battlemap creation software for Windows and Mac OS X

Thread Information