FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Nice, I'm working on an update for it at the moment, one that only shows the players the current 'task'.
    Players may have multiple tasks on the go at any one time - each with their own time frames.
    A multi-day task involving tracking down a source of equipment
    A different task researching/tracking down information on the current adventure
    A different task dealing with the local government beauracracy to get permission to go deep outsystem to investigate a lead

etc.

So, a flag that specifies "Active Tasks" vs just a single task would be great!

Yes but this is for Task Chains, not Task Lists - two very different things.

In a Task Chain the effect of the previous task is the DM for the next task.

So it's not a flag, it's just code to work out which one is next.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Folks,

Just updated the 1st post to hold Version: 0.3

Added new Global setting 'Task Chains: Filter Tasks' (Defaults to No)- this new setting will show ONLY the next task to be completed to the players, so they have no prior knowledge of all the tasks etc.

This is the last update for a while, I do plan to add the following:

1. Freetext area under title, to enter in GM notes about this Task
    2. Option to 'delete' the task chain when completed - for those that are one-off tasks that you don't need anymore
    3. Ability to export as a module, very useful for those of you who want to build up series of tasks based on certain events, ie Spacecraft Operations Task Chains, Trade Task Chains etc.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Hi,

Sadly the player window doesn't have the helpful 'surround' appear when you're on it, but when you drag the dice, it's the 'hand' that has to be in the description box, around about the middle, I'll try and get a visual indicator added tomorrow.

Cheers,
    MBM
    This looks like it's going to be a great feature, thanks for adding it.

I, too, am having the same issue as Pharoid, using a second instance of FGU as a player test. Unable to get it to work, despite numerous attempts dropping it at various locations. I'm going to test it tomorrow with one of my players, though, and I assume that works, so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dQnielk View Post
    This looks like it's going to be a great feature, thanks for adding it.

I, too, am having the same issue as Pharoid, using a second instance of FGU as a player test. Unable to get it to work, despite numerous attempts dropping it at various locations. I'm going to test it tomorrow with one of my players, though, and I assume that works, so no big deal.
    There are two rules to get the dice to drop properly.

1. You must drop the correct skill - it has to match 100%
    2. The 'hand' (not the Dice) must be in the skill (or any other field), that feels a bit wrong but the hand not the dice are the mouse pointer.

I might spend a bit of time trying to see if I can get the fields to outline, the issue is the player side the field is rread only.

Anyway please let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
    MBM

There are two rules to get the dice to drop properly.

1. You must drop the correct skill - it has to match 100%
    2. The 'hand' (not the Dice) must be in the skill (or any other field), that feels a bit wrong but the hand not the dice are the mouse pointer.

I might spend a bit of time trying to see if I can get the fields to outline, the issue is the player side the field is rread only.

Anyway please let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Hi MBM

Just like the others, I'm facing the same kind of issues, it won't drop anywhere, it's like it doesn't "pick up" the roll anymore,
    Steps taken:
    • I've made sure that both skills are from the same book (Player reference or Guide)
    • I've tried dropping with both generic and exact wording skills, on all 6 fields, to the left, to the right of all fields, I've tried dropping with dice, hand and anything inbetween, as well as dropping on other parts of the window to see what happens.
    • I've tried to minimize/maximize the window (there is a field clipping issue as far as I can see)

So far I've not been able to get it to work.

@Edit: I can see that it changes the Difficulty upon the roll, so it's registering something, but I'm not sure why the roll itself isn't there.

But this is for FGU, not sure if this isn't supported in FGU.

Any help would be nice, as this is one of the most AWESOME features I've ever seen for FG

@suggestion: would it be possibly to "label" the sub tasks, and not only the top?.

Best Regards
    T
    Last edited by Tallens; March 11th, 2021 at 11:38.

Hi Tallens,

Lunch time here, tested in FGU.

All works - note the Client window needs its minimum updating and some of the titles need to be made wider so the text isn't clipped.

When you add the Sub-Task you drag in a skill from the skills list, that is the skill that's required, no other skill will work.

The player drags off their Skills list the correct skill and places the hand in the 'Required Skill' and the dice vanish when they're dropped and then appear in the chat window.

Can you confirm you are using the latest Task Chains extension? It's had 3 updates since first released.

There will be another coming over the weekend with those client layout issues sorted and maybe a method to highlight the correct 'place' to drop the dice.

Your suggestion, what would the label be used for?

Keep ideas coming though, once I allow it to be released as a module (once data format is all agreed) some kind person could probably create a library of Task Chains for all to use....

Cheers,
    MBM

Having same issue with no result when dropping. Just today 03/11 I grabbed the file on page one for the download.
    I am very confident I have the hand hovering over the 'Skilled Required' field (dragged over same named skill roll from character).
    One clue I wanted to tell you is that the only thing I see that indicates it is functioning to some degree is that the Task Difficulty changes to the correct subtask I have put in the chain.

Don't know if it really matters but I am using FGU for the Mac.
    Last edited by deejaay1018; March 11th, 2021 at 20:19.

When you add the Sub-Task you drag in a skill from the skills list, that is the skill that's required, no other skill will work.

The player drags off their Skills list the correct skill and places the hand in the 'Required Skill' and the dice vanish when they're dropped and then appear in the chat window.

Can you confirm you are using the latest Task Chains extension? It's had 3 updates since first released.
    <root version="3.0" logo="logo.png">

Is the version it say in the XML, and no matter what I do, I cannot make it roll or do anything, I had my players test it out today, and none of them could get the rolls to work, we tried different settings, UI scales, window scales, dice-drop locations and so on.

I'll await the update, I'm not sure what else I can do.

also elaborate on my label after tonight's session,

/&/T

Hi Tallens,

That's not the section of the XML you check for version, that's the root XML version....

Look a bit lower and you'll see it.

<properties>
    <!-- Attributes -->
    <name>MGT2E Task Chains</name>
    <version>0.4</version>

Also, I've uploaded version 0.4 - In the chat window on loading it will tell you it's this version.
    • Client Window is wider by default
    • Both Client and Host support the window being made wider
    • Skill Required Field now changes the frame when something is hovering over it, this indicates dice can be dropped
    • If the wrong skill is dropped a chat window message appears showing what was dropped and what was expected
    • Unskilled can be used in place of any required skill

The two final points should help you.

@Deejay1018,

Mac shouldn't matter but one of my players uses a Mac and we find the dice roll off the screen, or roll at a million miles per hour, so hopefully v0.4 will help as well.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Last edited by MadBeardMan; March 12th, 2021 at 17:44.

Thread Information