STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Task Chains Extension

Hi Folks,

** Updated to version 0.5 **

Something I believe Carlton wanted and asked for a while ago, it's been on my back burner for a good while, but I've been working on an interview for a new job and to take my mind off that boredom I decided to finish the extension.

Now this is a BETA which means it's probably got some bugs and due to how complex it is, there are bound to be a few so ANY BUGS found please post here and NOT in the normal bugs channel, this allows me to keep on top of this.

Now I'm releasing this as an extension, this is so you can all play with it now and give us feedback, note I'll fix issues/enhance when I feel like it, but v1.2.3 is taking dev priority at the moment. Once this extension is all working and it's agreed it's a nice neat feature then I'll roll it into the next update after that.

Some instructions, drop the attached MGT2E Task Chains.ext into your 'extensions' folder (which is located as a sub-folder to your FGC/FGU installation). Note this was created using FGC but all updates are made in FGU so will support both.

After you've installed it, and enabled it you should see a 'TC' appear in the top right buttons. Click that and you'll have an empty window. Right click anywhere and select 'Create', you'll have your first Task Chain, give it a name, for example, 'Preparing for Jump'.

Next to add the tasks, click the + button, I do this as many times as I have steps, so for this click it twice.

Now drag the Skill (you can't manually enter) 'Astrogation' into the 1st step, and then 'Engineering (j-drive)' into the 2nd step. Next we set the Characteristic, it's 'EDU' for both, so select those. Next we have the 'Task Difficulty' well for a normal jump this is 'EASY' so from the drop down pick 'Easy 4+'.

Finally, we have a 'Mod' field, this is for things like bad equipment, adverse conditions, in our case we don't have any, but a lack of maintenance could cause a -1, or worse.

So that's it, a Task Chain has been added. You'll notice it's in a yellow background - this is because it can't be seen by any of the players yet.

Players will also have a TC button on their screen, get them to open this up. On your Referee screen click the 'Eye' to the left of the Task Chain name and the background will change to green, and your players will see it appear as well.

Finally, each player who wants to attempt to complete one of the tasks, they must drag a SKILL roll onto the first available task, in our case, Astrogation. When the dice are released, a roll should appear in the Chat Windows and the results will be fed into the Task Chain under the Result and Next DM columns.

The next player repeats this and drags their Engineering (j-drive) onto the 2nd task, you'll see they get a bonus/negative dice roll based on the Next DM from the previous task.... and that's our Task Chain completed!

Now once 'finished' the Referee can just re-hide it (clicking on the eye again). and if you right-click on it, you'll see an 'Eraser', you can clear the result and Next DM columns, meaning this Task can be reused and reused.....

Version: 0.2
    Added ability to hide/show the subtasks associated to the Task Chain

Version: 0.3
    Added new Global setting 'Task Chains: Filter Tasks' (Defaults to No)- this new setting will show ONLY the next task to be completed to the players, so they have no prior knowledge of all the tasks etc.

Version: 0.4
    • Client Window is wider by default
    • Both Client and Host support the window being made wider
    • Skill Required Field now changes the frame when something is hovering over it, this indicates dice can be dropped
    • If the wrong skill is dropped a chat window message appears showing what was dropped and what was expected
    • Unskilled can be used in place of any required skill

Version: 0.5 - In the chat window on loading it will tell you it's this version.
    • Changed Effect title to 'Next DM', as this is what this number does
    • Changed the effect to match the next DM based on the Core Rulebook

Cheers,
    MBM
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MadBeardMan; March 13th, 2021 at 14:11.
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Very, Very NICE!!!!

This Carlton chap must have had a brilliant mind to suggest it....

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Calford View Post
    Very, Very NICE!!!!

This Carlton chap must have had a brilliant mind to suggest it....
    That he did, he may suggest another cool feature now.....

Btw I thought earlier about a button to hide the 'subtasks' to a chain, ie hide the Astro/Engineer so that a Referee can keep a good number ready for use. Was also thinking we make this a sidebar button, and thus allow these to be saved/imported in modules!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Hey MBM.

I am going to have to play with this, but, it would be great to be able to save whole systems as modules to save redoing it for every adventure.

Right now, the elements that I would really like to see are

(1) add Charm to Characteristics - it's mentioned as an attribute in the companion and I use it along with Soc in my games.
    (2) remove money/mortgage/debt etc from the main page of the character and instead make them inventory items - if someone has no debt, don't take up the space, but, there are more types of currency than imperial credits and while you may have a Mcr of imperial cash on you, it is considered to be far less by the Swordworlder you are currently negotiating with.

There are other things, but, those two changes will make my gaming so much better.

Best regards
    Dalton

Hey MBM.

I am going to have to play with this, but, it would be great to be able to save whole systems as modules to save redoing it for every adventure.

Right now, the elements that I would really like to see are

(1) add Charm to Characteristics - it's mentioned as an attribute in the companion and I use it along with Soc in my games.
    (2) remove money/mortgage/debt etc from the main page of the character and instead make them inventory items - if someone has no debt, don't take up the space, but, there are more types of currency than imperial credits and while you may have a Mcr of imperial cash on you, it is considered to be far less by the Swordworlder you are currently negotiating with.

There are other things, but, those two changes will make my gaming so much better.

Best regards
    Dalton
    Hi Chap,

Will do (1) in the next update, it's easy enough, problem is, there's only enough space for a certain number of characteristics.
    To do (2), I've been thinking we move to a more DnD setup in Inventory, so any currency can be stored, so I'll think more about this.

Cheers,
    MBM

Appreciated MBM!

There are some free fonts created by the community over the years, some are on COTI needing an account to get them but here is a link to a simple download
    https://sol.trisen.com/default.asp?topic=10&page=123
    can you put a font (any font) into the system and show how you did it (via an extension) as I have tried and it has not worked.
    Just share the example code and we can do the rest.

Hi MBM, Excellent work! I really appreciate this.

Couple of Small Issues
    (1) The task chain should have a formated text box BEFORE the steps and after the name, to explain what/why the task chain is used.
    (2) The Characteristic does not allow ALL available characteristics, such as luck or sanity. (this is true for the character sheet as well here is a sample fix)
    <template name="cycler_tc_characteristic">
    <button_stringcycler>
    <parameters>
    <defaultlabel> - </defaultlabel>
    <labels>Str|Dex|End|Int|Edu|Soc|Psi|Luk|Mrl|San|Wl t|Chr</labels>
    <values>Str|Dex|End|Int|Edu|Soc|PSI|Luk|Mrl|San|Wl t|Chr</values>
    </parameters>
    (3) Is is possible for them to be separate elements vs a all in one big scrolling list?

Hi MBM, Excellent work! I really appreciate this.

Couple of Small Issues
    (1) The task chain should have a formated text box BEFORE the steps and after the name, to explain what/why the task chain is used.
    (2) The Characteristic does not allow ALL available characteristics, such as luck or sanity. (this is true for the character sheet as well here is a sample fix)
    <template name="cycler_tc_characteristic">
    <button_stringcycler>
    <parameters>
    <defaultlabel> - </defaultlabel>
    <labels>Str|Dex|End|Int|Edu|Soc|Psi|Luk|Mrl|San|Wl t|Chr</labels>
    <values>Str|Dex|End|Int|Edu|Soc|PSI|Luk|Mrl|San|Wl t|Chr</values>
    </parameters>
    (3) Is is possible for them to be separate elements vs a all in one big scrolling list?
    Hi Dalton,

Thanks for the feedback.

(1) - Why do you need this? The description is large enough to put in any other details, if it does get added, do you want the Players to see it?
    (2) - I can't see why you'd have chains with some of the optional characteristics and there's an issue if the optional characteristic isn't in use. Once this is merged into the main code and I've built a cycler that uses real options this will be solved.
    (3) - Explain what you mean - and why would it be better to be separate elements rather than a list.

Cheers,
    MBM

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Dalton,

Thanks for the feedback.

(1) - Why do you need this? The description is large enough to put in any other details, if it does get added, do you want the Players to see it?
    (2) - I can't see why you'd have chains with some of the optional characteristics and there's an issue if the optional characteristic isn't in use. Once this is merged into the main code and I've built a cycler that uses real options this will be solved.
    (3) - Explain what you mean - and why would it be better to be separate elements rather than a list.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Hi MBM,

(1) Task chains in the context of the VTT are powerful game accelerators. Some, like those in combat will be used repeatedly, but, others such as getting into a better position in the que at a class A starport in order to out maneuver an opponent, well, lets just say they have lots of detail but are rarely used. (I will explain such a task chain at the bottom of the email as an example). The description is NOT about describing the task chain, it is about USING ie a formated text box with bold etc, will allow the GM to list possible modifiers, special rules etc that would normally in game, need to be either looked up or decided randomly on the spot, but, with a description as part of the task chain, it can be all prepared in advance.
    Last night, I worked out 35 task chains, some for use with space combat, some for ground combat, some for trade and commerce, while others where for how to setup a meeting with an individual, who can only be met with socially, in a highly restrictive area.

Which brings us to (2). Until you have a way of limiting the selection to only those attributes picked by the GM, we still need access to the attributes. For now, it is a small price to pay to iterate through choices we don't use in order to get to the ones we do. Luck, Wealth and Charm are all attributes that I found myself limited by their lack of support in the system, to the point where I manually altered the script to handle them.

And finally (3), Task chains can be quite long, in multiple steps (I had a 14 step task chain, dealing with getting an engine repaired which included part sourcing and customs etc) So, if a referee has 6-7 common repeating TCs and 20-30 rarely used TCs, that is alot of TC's to scroll past if the average TC has 3-4 steps. Add in descriptions and you loose the whole benefit of having TCs as you loose time finding the one you want.
    Picture trying to find the spaceship you want if you have to scroll through all the ship details until you get to the one ship on the list you want.
    If each TC was it's own entity that can be linked to a note, just presented in a name only list (for players, the TCs in use are shown). Then it is easy to find your particular TC or even have it as a linked item from a ship/encounter etc.

Another item needed is a time element, where the GM can specify the time interval and the player rolls it. The player could also increase the time interval to get a bonus to the roll or be hasty to get minuses to the roll. A running total of time would be critical.

Finally, the effect, as a GM you need to be able to specify the type of effect - for some rolls, the effect is the amount you beat the target by (such as the final roll to hit for combat), but, for other rolls, the effect is based upon the chart on page 60 of the core rule book.
    The GM should be able to select how the effect is to be calculated at each step, as it will affect how the TC is worked out. I refer to the two effects as "Standard Effect" and "Task Chain Effect"

As for an example task chain, used rarely, but, can be used repeatedly. Such a task chain is used when you have a group of skilled team mates working together behind the scenes to setup the actual encounter where the role-playing occurs. Such a chain can be equally used against a local noble, well known politician, famous performer or a notorious criminal. Where the venue is, when it occurs etc is all up to the GM/players.

"Make Contact (Social) with Target"
    Notes
    Step 1 DM +Difference in SOC (Character - Target)
    Step 2 DM +Difference in WLT (Character - Target)

Steps
    (1) Find out targets schedule (Streetwise) (Soc or Chr or Wlt) Standard Effect (1D days)
    (2) Get needed invitation to social gathers (Carousing) (Chr or Wlt or Luk) TC effect (1D*4 hours)
    (3) Arrange distraction to get by "Handlers" (Deception) (Wlt or Chr) TC effect (1D*10 minutes)
    (4) Make "impression" to begin conversation (Diplomat) (Soc or Wlt or Chr) Standard Effect (1D seconds)

I hope I am clear on the use of the TC and how it can benefit RP

Hi MBM,
    Just a followup to the above.
    I do not see Tack Chains as replacing role-playing, but, in many stories, you see the results of days of preparation, summarized in a few moments on screen or a sentence or two in a book. Such details are the drudge work and can have the players loose track of the story as they try to keep track of all the monotonous detail work. Most times, you don't even make reference to it as it does not move the story along, BUT, in certain cases, the coordinated effort of multiple people, is relevant to the outcome but is still really boring.
    So, with task chains, you can not only keep track of the book keeping of such coordinated actions, you can also have it become a simple, quick thing that players know about but are not expending lots of time thinking about.
    With as complex a setting as the 3rd Imperium, players may have 7 or 8 different task chains going on, each at different stages of development, from researching the local criminal underground, finding illicit goods, getting materials for a patron and repairing their ship. With the task chains, these all are happening but the players use them to finally get to the point where it is a high drama scene where the role playing and combat takes place.
    I can see this as becoming really important as mercenary is released.
    best regards
    Dalton

Thread Information