STAR TREK 2d20

Spells Learned for a New Wizard

I am working on creating a Wizard that specializes in Necromancy. If I am understanding this right, he has an Int 17 which allows for 14 spells per level with a 75% chance in learning a spell.

If I am reading this right, he can learn up to 14 spells in his spell book, but he has to roll 75 or lower to actually learn the spell to be placed in his spell book while only being allowed 2 spells with his bonus.

He gets a bonus of +15% when learning from their school and a penalty of -15% from other schools.

Just want to make sure that I have a good understanding.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TXCBoy36 View Post
    I am working on creating a Wizard that specializes in Necromancy. If I am understanding this right, he has an Int 17 which allows for 14 spells per level with a 75% chance in learning a spell.

If I am reading this right, he can learn up to 14 spells in his spell book, but he has to roll 75 or lower to actually learn the spell to be placed in his spell book while only being allowed 2 spells with his bonus.

He gets a bonus of +15% when learning from their school and a penalty of -15% from other schools.

Just want to make sure that I have a good understanding.

Thanks!
    He would have a 60% chance to learn spells that are not necromantic and 90% if they are necromantic and he can't learn spells opposite of the necromancy school.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Right, he can not learn any spells from the opposing school, Illusion & Enchantment/Charm....but everything else is on track?

Right, he can not learn any spells from the opposing school, Illusion & Enchantment/Charm....but everything else is on track?
    Yeap, just know the max spells per level is not "he gets to pick the spells at level 1" those are things found over the lifetime of the character. Some DMs tend to house rule that right out (I do).
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    And that's 14 spells of any given level, not 14 spells total.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    And that's 14 spells of any given level, not 14 spells total.
    Ok, so at 1st level, how many spells can he attempt to learn to be placed in his spell book for memorization? 14? That seems high for 1st level. I know for 5e, they can have 6 at 1st level.

Thanks!

Ok, so at 1st level, how many spells can he attempt to learn to be placed in his spell book for memorization? 14? That seems high for 1st level. I know for 5e, they can have 6 at 1st level.

Thanks!
    The DMG convers exactly how many they get... for my games I give them 3+1d4. I also dont think they need to make learn checks for these granted level 1 spells, by the book.
    ---

Thread Information