DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Spacecraft

Spacecraft

There are multiple questions below but they are all related to ships. I am unsure how this all interacts currently. But I want to explain what I am seeing just in case something is wrong. In my testing I was using the Patrol Corvette.

- If I drag a spacecraft directly from the SPACECRAFT entries lit into the combat tracker I can see the ships weapons, make rolls to hit and rolls for damage as expected.

- If I create a blank PC SCraft, open that entry up and then drag an already finished spacecraft from the SPACECRAFT list the blank PC Scraft entry populates and I see they are both the same. If I then drag this new entry into the Combat Tracker I do not see the relevant entries for the weapons.

Is this expected behavior right now?

- I dragged the info from SPACECRAFT because I could not actually figure out how to create weapon entries short of hand jamming them into the tab. It was just quicker this way. Is there a better way? I was hoping to be able to drag over core rule book entries but could not easily locate any.

- I have also noted that many of the entries for ships from the core rules are actually missing weapons. Of note is the Mercenary Cruiser which is supposed to be quite heavily armed by default. There are others as well.

Hi Stargrove, we do/did have an active thread on Spacecraft operations here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Tracker-How-To

The PC Spacecraft currently does not transfer actions to the Spacecraft Combat Tracker. Players will have to roll in the Actions tab of the Spacecraft sheet. The feature to roll from the SCT is currently on the To Do list for development.

Weapons can be dragged and dropped from the Item list to the PC Spacecraft that do create Action entries.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. I am away from my PC until Sunday and will be able to help provide screenshots/gifs if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Greg
    Last edited by GregRex; February 26th, 2021 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargrove View Post
    There are multiple questions below but they are all related to ships. I am unsure how this all interacts currently. But I want to explain what I am seeing just in case something is wrong. In my testing I was using the Patrol Corvette.

- If I drag a spacecraft directly from the SPACECRAFT entries lit into the combat tracker I can see the ships weapons, make rolls to hit and rolls for damage as expected.

- If I create a blank PC SCraft, open that entry up and then drag an already finished spacecraft from the SPACECRAFT list the blank PC Scraft entry populates and I see they are both the same. If I then drag this new entry into the Combat Tracker I do not see the relevant entries for the weapons.

Is this expected behavior right now?

- I dragged the info from SPACECRAFT because I could not actually figure out how to create weapon entries short of hand jamming them into the tab. It was just quicker this way. Is there a better way? I was hoping to be able to drag over core rule book entries but could not easily locate any.

- I have also noted that many of the entries for ships from the core rules are actually missing weapons. Of note is the Mercenary Cruiser which is supposed to be quite heavily armed by default. There are others as well.
    Hi,

Greg has answered well here, though to iterate Player Weapons DO NOT appear on the normal CT, nor will they on the SCT (it's possible - but this data is not copied into the SCT data). There is work on making it easier for players to fire Ship/Craft weapons that work is ongoing - we're in design for it at this time.

If you check the Core Rulebook a number of ships do not have weapons, they have Turrets (but no weapons), for example, the Mercenary Cruiser has 8 x Triple Turret, they're empty and I double-checked this with Mongoose that they don't default to Beam/Pulse Laser etc.

Thanks,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Vehicles that are separate from characters do seem to pose challenges when having to reconcile players skills with something not directly in their inventory. You could potentially have any character in a group needing to use any mounted vehicle weapons at any time during an adventure regardless of their skill levels. I am not familiar with all the game systems in FG right now, but are there others that have figured this out? Most, but obviously not all, are fantasy-based rule sets that probably don't have to deal with this sort of thing. The closest one here that I can discern is probably Starfinder. Since you said you all are still in the design phase, the way they are doing things seems like it might be worth looking into. Starfinder is sort of rigid in how they assign players to different stations but, at least in Traveller, many of the crew have multiple roles like an Engineer who is also a Gunner, etc. That seems like it would be easy to work around though in that players could just be assigned to any role they could potentially fulfill so the proper actions are available to them when needed during play.

EDIT: In the Starfinder ruleset the GM can just drag players from one assignment to the other and I think players can select from a drop down which role they are currently fulfilling. So, not so rigid I guess.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Last edited by Stargrove; February 28th, 2021 at 17:42.

Vehicle work will be done when the Vehicle Handbook is released, the latest released Core book was High Guard so that's the focus, Spacecraft - these are complex and are not written in a heavily structured manner like DnD/PFRPG and there are many support books/adventures/journals that add another rule here and there which can override/conflict with others.

But work is carry on with a workable method of doing things, the work SuperTeddy has done for SFRPG (and we chat about it) will be influencing how things will work in Traveller, I am at the moment adding a tab to the Party Sheet where PC ships can be listed, this then allows Players to link to crew positions....

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Vehicle work will be done when the Vehicle Handbook is released, the latest released Core book was High Guard so that's the focus, Spacecraft - these are complex and are not written in a heavily structured manner like DnD/PFRPG and there are many support books/adventures/journals that add another rule here and there which can override/conflict with others.

But work is carry on with a workable method of doing things, the work SuperTeddy has done for SFRPG (and we chat about it) will be influencing how things will work in Traveller, I am at the moment adding a tab to the Party Sheet where PC ships can be listed, this then allows Players to link to crew positions....

Cheers,
    MBM
    MBM,

So the plan is to only allow Characters to link to ship positions? Should we then turn hired NPCs (who were hired specifically to fill certain roles) into Characters or will NPCs be eventually added as well?

Xargun

Hi Xargun,

Yes started work on the PS to add the ships TAB which then will map out the various positions and allow PC's to be dragged into one of them (I need to look to see if you can be in more than 1 position (the ruleset - not the rules) for example, Pilot and Astrogator.

Hopefully I'll spend time on it tomorrow, that's the first step I think to getting on with the PC Spacecraft stuff, but also note Greg and I have been looking into Trade as well.

Cheers
    MBM

Has any progress been made with how Spacecraft work in yet?

Stargrove, not sure if you are following up from last year. If so it has been pretty significant. I have some quick videos I made here:

PC Spacecraft Record Sheet

PC Spacecraft Record Automation

PC Spacecraft Combat Tracker

We are also doing a Spacecraft Operation class at the Fantasy Grounds Academy this Monday if you want to check out the features first hand: https://discord.gg/mKve7b6a?event=920315637061021757
    Last edited by GregRex; January 16th, 2022 at 20:44.

Hi, it is possible in the next update to be able to add a link image in the note sections of the PC Spacecraft, as per in the note section of Spacecraft?

see images: Sans titre.png

Thread Information